Home AOMEI Products Support

Problem Restoring Backup

Hey guys. My seagate drive recently died and i just received the new drive which im in the process of transferring the backed up files to but after i woke up from doing the restoration of the backup it tells me "The destination path is too long, please restore to original location or change a shorter path and try again".

Except the original location is a dead hard drive. And it didnt have a problem making the backup in the first place. I had a problem with this "path too long" bs once before and im getting sick of it, OS needs to have a fix for this.

What can i do to get my backup out of the backup file (which btw is backup file from AOMEI Backupper Standard).  The particular file its saying it cant transfer is an important one too, a file for woodworking plans which i paid for and its sitting right there in the backup but this stupid character limit won't let me get it.  Also because i woke up to this after the backup restoration finished i have no way of knowing if all the other files were actually restored from the backup?

Thank You.

Comments

• edited November 2016

Can you explore the backup image and the important files? Utilities menu, Explore Image and then browse in the Windows explorer. If so, you can copy them.

• When i try going through explore it just takes me to select the files/folders and when i select it asks to "save as".  

The backup is the one that backs up files/folders that i select.

• edited November 2016

Alright by painfully going through a lot of the backup file by file i manged to get everything but the handful of files that happened to be too many characters for this program to read (pff).  Switching to file synching via Cobian backup software to avoid this terrible issue after this.

Thanks for advice Johnny.

• Ok, you used the file/folder backup to image obviously. It compresses the backup image like a zip file. You don't need to save the files one by one since you can select folders including subfolders to Save as.

Aomei has also a File Sync option, which is just an uncompressed file copy to another location and thereby always accessible with Windows Explorer. I prefer this option above the file/folder backup to image, too.