Home AOMEI Products Support

Cloning for Sever

edited November 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Hello, I am new here...

I had just cloned my "windows server 2012 r2" from old harddisk to new harddisk, but after i removed my current harddisk and restart the with the new "cloned" harddisk, my computer cannot detect the OS in the new harddisk. Any advise? Thank you!

Comments

• edited November 2016

Have both disks the same partition style, MBR vs GPT?

• edited November 2016

MBR.... partition into 2 parts... my old harddisk is 350MB & the rest empty, i cloned to new harddisk (2TB) 1st part 512MB and the rest empty...

Problem is old harddisk is "System Reserved" then C: but cannot "see" system reserved unless in "Disk Management" or "AOMEI Backupper Server" software during cloning.

For the new hard disk, "System Reserved" is in D: (ie. 512MB) and after cloning it is empty inside, F: is exactly is my C:.

May i know if i had did anything wrong when doing the cloning?

Thank you vv much!

• edited November 2016

D: and F: is what you see from within the "old" OS. You said you removed the old HDD and restarted the computer. It can't find the OS. Is it possible that the PC looks for the old disk, for a C:?

How did you remove the old one? Is the new one still on USB or so? Put the new one in the same place as the old one with the same cables. It should not matter, but you never know. Or is there a BIOS option you should change?

And are you sure that the new disk is also MBR? Did you verify that in disk management where there is a grayed out option "Convert to GPT" (right click on the disk in disk management.)

• Hi JohnnyboyGo,

My current C: says " Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition) while new hdd F: says "Healthy (Active, Primary Partition). The boot was not cloned over to the new hdd?

And "System Reserved (D:)" in new hdd, is grayed saying "Healthy (Primary Partition)" and there is no option to "Convert to GPT" too.

• edited November 2016

Well it is Convert to MBR or Convert to GPT. And it should be the same on the original HDD and the new HDD. You said it is a MBR style now, so it should read Convert to GPT on both disks. Or you got it wrong and it is GPT then they should read Convert to MBR.  (Right click on Disk 0 on the leftmost side)

http://davidmtechblog.blogspot.nl/2013/11/windows-server-2012-disk-management.html

• Oh thanks for the clarification. I clicked wrongly on the blue part.... Yes, it does read "Convert to Dynamic Disk, same as your attached picture.

Thank you for the link too. I had done what the blog had written too. Format a "New Simple Volume" to the new hdd, but do i create a partition now or in the "AOMEI Backupper Server" software during cloning?

• edited November 2016

I asked or it reads "Convert to MBR" or "Convert to GPT" in the grayed out menu items on both disks. Not convert to Dynamic. The link was just to understand that GPT and MBR are available in Windows server 2012 and some background info.

If both disks have the same partition style, MBR or GPT, and the system won't boot, try holding left Shift key when booting. It worked for me sometimes.

• Oppss.... Yeah both hdd read "Convert ot GPT". Should i reformat it to GPT instead?

So what can I do now?

• No, if both have the same style (MBR in this case), that's OK. 

Have you tried booting the system with left Shift key pressed?

Or instead of cloning (don't know why you couldn't boot) make a disk backup and restore to the new disk and try again.

• Hi,

Yes I tried the left Shift key pressed during booting up. But it still cannot find any OS in the system. I saw the black screen reads "0 virtual disk found" with only new hdd while "1 virtual disk found" if my current hdd is still in the server during boot up.

• edited November 2016

Question: What program and which version are you using to clone?

http://www.backup-utility.com/edition-comparison.html

• I am using the AB Server edition.