Home AOMEI Products Support

System Will Not Boot after starting or restarting with Backupper Pro Installed. Win 10 Pro AU.

I am currently using Backupper Standard or Pro on several computers running Win 7 Ultimate and Win 10 Pro AU. On the machines running Win 10 Pro AOMEI Backupper was loaded and running before the machines were upgraded to Win 10 Pro AU.

Yesterday I was setting up a new Dell Precision 3620Workstation which has the following components:

XEON E3-1270 v5 Processor

Intel C236 Chipset

M.2 256GB PCLe NVME Class 40 Solid State Boot Drive

1TB, 3.5” SATA Data Storage Hard Drive

16GB (2 X 8 GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC memory

Windows 10 Pro AU (1607) The OS was installed by Dell during the build. All updates have been applied.            

PROBLEM: 

When installing either Backupper Pro or Standard on this Workstation it gets to a point in the install  where the “Program Compatibility Assistant” gives error messages saying that for the “AMBAKDRV.SYS, AMWRTDVR.SYS AND AMMNKDVY.SYS drivers “A Digitally Signed Certificate is Required”. If you hit “Cancel” and continue with the install both Pro and Standard will load, however when you shut down the computer and restart it or you do a restart it will not boot and you get Dell Error Message saying “Unable to locate a boot devise”. 

A Dell Pro Support Technician worked on the system via Remote Control for about 4 hours yesterday and was unable to resolve the issue.He searched for and found what he believes are the Digitally SignedCertificates for the drivers listed above and attempted to install them manually but it did not solve the problem. Both the Dell Technician and I believe the problem may be related to those drivers but are not sure. The computer runs fine without Backupper Pro or Standard  installed, but will not boot when either of them is installed. 

I have E-Mailed AOMEI Tech Support but they will not will not respond.

Questions:

1. Do any of you think the boot issue is related to the Digitally Signed Certificate problem or is it something else?

2. If I temporarily disable the requirement to have a signed driver as has been posted on another thread do think it will work?

3. Any other suggesstions besides waiting for AOMEI to resolve the signed driver issue?

I really like AOMEI Backupper but if this problem is not solved soon I will be forced to switch to another product like Acronis.

Comments

• edited October 2016

The problem is most definately related to the driver signing, or better: the wrong driver signing done by AOMEI.

In another thread about the failing of Backupper after updating to Windows10AU this is one of the causes of all kinds of problems introduced with the Anniversary Update.

As I believe it AOMEI is at the moment in the process of getting the drivers signed properly by Microsoft.

As a workaround it is suggested to temporarily disable secure boot.

• UPDATE

I went into Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel to makesure Backupper was not installed and found that it was not showing as a Program. Then I went into the C Drive and checkedfor any residual files in Program Files (x86)  and found a number of files which I manually removed.

I then disabled the requirement to have digitally signeddrivers using this: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-disable-driver-signature-verification-on-64-bit-windows-8.1-so-that-you-can-install-unsigned-drivers/

Then went to the AOMEI web site and downloaded Backupper Pro V3.5,which was dated 7-11-16. During the install I got two notices that DigitallySigned Drivers were required for AMMNTDVR.SYSand AMWRTDVR.SYS so I hit Cancel andcontinued with the install. The install appeared to go normally except thedesktop Icon would not start the program. I was able to start the program fromthe Programs Menu – It looked like it would run.

I then restarted the computer and sure enough it would not boot so Irestored it to an earlier Restore Point.

So until AOMEI gets its act together and solves the driver signatureproblem I will not be able to use Backupper. If this continues much longer I willswitch to another back-up program and request AOMEI refund the money I paid forthe Professional Version because IT WILL NOT RUN ON MY NEW COMPUTER!

• So sorry for all the problem. We are trying to solve this problem. Please give us more time.

When we fix it, we will let you know.

• I am also still waiting... for almost 3 months now since this problem arose after the anniversary update early august...

• Another week and no information on when a FIX or a new Version which includes the fix will be released.

When will this issue be resolved?

• This is already clowning with users! Macrium Reflect birthday after update was already signed with the drives.

Admin is the programmer can also be among so delay!

• Where are we with resolving this problem?

In related posts AOMEI Admin said it would not be fixed until the next revision. When will the next revision be released?

I have been forced to stop using AOMEI PRO until this issue is resolved - I like AOMEI but can't use what I have paid for until this signed driver issue is resolved.

• edited November 2016

And we are still waiting...

Two major problems still: 1- driver signing problem which prevents correct installation of AOMEI Backupper (in case of fresh install of Win10AU & secure boot on);

2- failed tasks when using scheduled backup and disk management after rebooting.

Please resolve, thank you.

• I posted a similar comment on one of the other threads.

It appears  4.0.2 (Pro) resolves the boot problems described above where a system with a cleanly installed Win 10 (Pro), AU (1607) will not boot once AOMEI Backupper is installed.

Can any of the users on the forum confirm this??

After a lot of frustration with my new computer and AOMEI I started using Macrium Reflect (Free Version) and have had good luck with it. I would still like to go back to AOMEI on this computer (I use AOMEI on four other computers) but will not attempt it until I can be assured 4.0.2 solved the boot issue. I really don't want to load 4.0.2 and find this computer will not boot like it did when I originally installed 3.5 and then have to do a complete restore.

Thanks  SB