Home AOMEI Products Support

Complete System Backup... possible?

Apologies in advance, but I'm finding the options and limitations of the BackUpper options confusing. I'm backing up multiple family systems to a network share drive. I've been doing this using the "Disk Backup" option as the several of the machines have multiple user partitions.

Today, I had to restore one of the (thankfully!) smaller machines to a new hard disk, but was unable to do so as the disk wasn't made bootable in the process. As I understand only the "System Backup" option will allow for this, but it won't allow me to include secondary partitions in the backup.

As I'm understanding it - and I feel I MUST be wrong - the only way to do a full system backup that's restorable to dissimilar hardware is to do multiple backups: A System Backup of the boot partition and C: and a second Disk Backup of the D: partition. This can't be correct, can it? Isn't there a way to a single, "push button" backup of the whole damn thing that can't be recovered to dissimilar hardware?

Thanks in advance for any clarification!

Comments

• If you do the disk backup and want to use it in another computer, you need to restore it with the UNIVERSAL RESTYORE. After the restore, please try to set the boot mode in the BIOS. The wrong thing is that you do not use the universal restore.

• Thanks! Looks like my issue was the fact that I was attempting to move from a single AHCI disk to a RAID mirror.

As I understand your answer, BOTH a "Disk Backup" and "System Backup" will allow full restore to dissimilar hardware (as long as the disk mode remains the same).

• Sorry. Please delete the partition in the destination and re-restore again. Hope you can create the WINPE bootable media to restore.