Home AOMEI Products Support

File Backup Question - Problem?

edited August 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

I just did a File Backup operation and when I looked at the result on my external drive, I see that what I have is one 'folder' labled 'My File Backup'  (actually there are two 'folders', a smaller companion labled 'My File Backup1').  I see that this is an unopenable folder (at least I couldn't figure out how to open it) - meaning that I can't get to any of the subfolders or files that I included in my File Backup specification.  Is this the way this backup is supposed to work - everything bundled into one unopenable package?  How does one get to an individual file in the backup?  Must the entire 'My File Backup' conglomeration (don't know that it can be technically considered a folder) be restored back to the computer (using AOMEI) to get unbundled if one wanted to get to just one of the files within it?  This seems a rather odd way of backing up data files.  Anyway, if anyone knows if there is any other way to do this so that one would be able to get access to individual files within a backup, please let me know.  Otherwise, one might as well just copy the folders in the computer straight over to the external drive and be done with it (ie do your own manual backup).  Actually, I believe that there is another program that might do this - something called SycToy, I believe.  Only thing, I don't believe that program will do scheduled backups.  Hard to get it all I guess.  I would appreciate any insight or advice I could get on this situation.  Thank you.

Comments

• Sorry for the inconvenience. You cannot open the AFI file in the windows. bUt you can explore it with AOMEI Backupper so that you can copy the data you need out.

• Thanks for getting back to me.  What does 'explore it' mean?  Is there a topic somewhere in your user's guide that explains how to do this?  I assume that you're saying that it is possible to get an individual data file out of the AFI file (that's what that thing is called that AOMEI produces) somehow.  And may I also assume that I would need to bring that AFI file back into my computer's hard drive to do this?  Or can it be dismembered on the external drive where the backup has been stored?  A little clarification would really help in understanding this process, if you please.  Thank you very much for your reply.

• "  What does 'explore it' mean?  Is there a topic somewhere in your user's guide that explains how to do this?"

You can check the explore functionality from this link.

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/explore-image.html

" And may I also assume that I would need to bring that AFI file back into my computer's hard drive to do this? "

If it is "AFI" yes, it will goes backup to the computer. But if you do the system and disk backup to get the "ADI", it will creat the virtual partition to show the data in that backup image.

"Or can it be dismembered on the external drive where the backup has been stored? "

NO, you need to use the AOMEI Backupper to acess it.