Home AOMEI Products Support

Creating Bootable Media with Windows 10

When I click to create Bootable Media in Aomei Standard I am faced with two choices

1. Linux

2. Windows PE, which requires the download and installation of Windows AIK / ADK before it will work.

Having checked the downloads for Windows AIK and ADK they do not appear to be compatible with Windows 10

Does that mean Windows 10 users need to create a Linux based bootable CD?

A simple explanation would be appreciated as I'm no computer tech wizard.

Comments

• >>When I click to create Bootable Media in Aomei Standard

No download is needed when you create a PE bootable media for Aomei Backupper Standard version 3.2 on Windows 10. (actually I know it for Windows10Pro but it should not make a difference for Windows10Home).

Besides that Windows ADK is available and compatible with Windows 10.

• Hi Peter,

That does not seem to be possible for me. When I select to Create Bootable Media using Windows PE I am met with this screen 

imageAomei Rescue Disk-1.jpg

and clicking the link to download Windows AIK/ADK does not list Windows 10 as being compatible

http://www.backup-utility.com/help/aik.html?adb

The only place where I can see no download being needed is when doing it via Linux

• edited March 2016

Your system seems exotic and unclear what was how installed, see here your previous thread

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/2710/system-backup-vs-disk-backup/p3

As in that thread your questions seem to the opposite of what is the fact.

On a properly installed Windows 10 system (and Windows 7 system) there is no need to download of ADK  (AIK is for Windows 7 this is right. You can read in the bottom of you very second screenshot that ADK is required for Windows 8.1 - this includes Windows 10). I hope you find over time the issues in your computer that make it so special.

I suggest you install ADK as indicated at the end of your second screenshot to your Windows 10 system.

• edited March 2016

I just tried. When there is a proper Windows Recovery Environment, no download of ADK is required. When there is no Windows Recovery Environment properly installed, download of ADK is required.

Windows Recovery Environment is an invisible part of Windows since Windows 7.

+(for technical people: on UEFI system the Recovery Partition must be present. On a MBR system the Recovery folder in the System reserved partition must be present. On a MBR system without separate System reserved partition the hidden C:\Recovery folder must be present).

• My system is not exotic, it is a properly installed version of Windows 10 Home

It is becoming clear that AOMEI is not the backup tool for me, explanations on this forum are far too technical with little attempt to explain what all these terms mean, which is not helpful sadly. 

• edited March 2016

(1) I just tried: Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, then upgraded to Windows 10 Home, and created Aomei Backupper bootable media, without  requirement of AIK/ADK.

(technically, In this case, there was only C: and no System reserved partition. The required files are taken from C:\Recovery)

(2) The other scenario is when Windows 7 Pro has a System reserved partition of 100MB, and then doing the upgrade. In that case on Windows 7 the required files are found, but after the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro they are not found. ADK is required.

(technically on Windows 7 Pro the folder is C:\Recovery. After upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, the files are in "recovery partition":\Recovery and are not found. I did the test: I copied the files back from "recovery partition":\Recovery to C:\Recovery and they are again found).

When AIK/ADK is required, one has to scroll down for the ADK information.

• Gnooby . No, you can install Win8 ADK in Win10 to use.

• Hi,

I tried making the disc using the Win8 Process but ended up with this bug:

http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/2102/winpe-bootdisk-stops-at-99/p1

So do we use the OLD ADK (Win10) OR the NEW ADK (1511 Win10) OR Win 8 AIK (ISO)? My ultimate goal would be to make a boot disc that supports both Win 8.1 and Win 10 but the first priority is Win 10 in my case.

Problem with ADK (Win10) https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/11/20/serious-issue-with-deployment-kit.aspx

Official ADK Win10 (1511) MS Download: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/dn913721%28v=vs.8.5%29.aspx

I do like the gui based version of this software, and if you can help get rid of these bugs so I can use it properly, I'll like it even more.

Please reply with info on what to do for the above case and the others wanting to know.

Thanks

• edited March 2016

for the 99prozent bug, try creating an ISO instead of direct burning, and burn from the windows right-click (on the ISO) command.

• Thanks Peter,

I did that (since you posted) and the iso did get created properly at 100%. At that point I actually decided to just go with the PXE boot instead (since I had spare pcs). It worked flawlessly after changing some bios settings, and it was fast thanks to the lan.

I'm just going to describe my experience to help others and troubleshoot etc if it's helpful for debugging etc.

I had one issue here that I couldn't write to my NAS so instead I used an external usb hdd with a caddy. I connected ok to the NAS (yes the credentials are correct and I was able to traverse the drive) however I did notice there wasn't any option to create a folder. This NAS is using samba / windows shares but the disk writes failed even though the account and password were correct. I didn't bother looking further into it.

The restore had some issues. I didn't troubleshoot enough to nail down the exact cause but this is the scenario. This was a Partition level backup. The partition contained 69.1 GB of data. The backup was 68.8GB. There appears to be a missing 300mb. I confirmed it a couple of times. I'm not sure if that 300mb was the EFI data ? Or if some security feature was blocking access to it... speculation.

The system is using UEFI (with secure unloaded during the backup and restore)

It seems like the Boot folder / EFI is somehow getting corrupted upon restore which results in (it's dualboot) Win 8.1 (the restored partition) failing to boot and ending up with this error: 0xc0000225  File: \Windows\System32\winload.efi

The other partition Win10 still booted fine, even at this point.

I couldn't get either cd win10/8.1 to recognise and repair the recovered partition with Win8.1's startup fault. In the end I used (from recovery command prompt on the Win8.1 DVD):

bcdboot D:\Windows

which rebuilt the BCD store. Then I was left with a functional multi boot menu that listed 1 invalid item for Win 8.1 - the one that was altered or added during the recovery. I deleted that later.

From what I can see, the Aomei backuper restore error is occurring in the last 1% when it writes to the boot table? or the EFI folder or the system partition(?) I don't know that much about UEFI, just some basics. It points the loader to the wrong partition location on the drive. In this case something like partition 3 when it should be 6. There is an INVISIBLE 16MB partition which shows up outside of Windows sitting in 3rd place before Win10Pro. The backup did not contain the entire contents of the drive and I guess it assumes the entireity of the original contents is actually what is contained in the backup, so it isn't aware of those 2 missing partitions that were pre-existing. So it thinks it's restoring to D: (which is what it labelled the partition as inside the backup) when in reality it goes back to J: when it's inactive and C: when it's active (Win8.1)

The repair points it back to the correct partition.

After all that, everything works again.

So the backup itself seems to be fine.

I'm posting 3 images so you can see the layout of the drive (GPT).

I will keep an eye out for the solution for the bootable drive in future as that would be more convenient. Though I was impressed with how smoothly that PXE Boot software worked. It was pretty effortless.

Cheers

• edited March 2016

Interesting report.

1) NAS write failure. You may try  \\192.168.p.pp\ instead of \\servername\  this helped in other cases.

1a) and yes there is no folder create option.

2) missing data is this C: or Data? and no there is no EFI data. The total size difference could be because of allocation blocks? But one could verify the number of folders and files.

3) you did right running BCDBoot D:\windows /l en-US where D is the Windows 8.1 OS partition. Your Windows 10 also did not work, but Automatic Repair fixed it. In addition within each OS you will run reagentc with arguments to fix the recovery environment. BCDBoot does not adjust the recovery environment.

Reason: BCD is not portable across backup-restore. More precise reason: The "device" information in BCD become invalid. The device information in BCD, of GPT disks, are disk unique GUID and partition unique GUID, and they change on restore, The partition unique GUIDs for sure become new ones. It has nothing to do with the 16MB partition.

The word non-portability of device in BCD is indirectly documented here https://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/windows/desktop/dd405462(v=vs.85).aspx

4) the 16MB partition on the GPT disk is MSR, Microsoft Reserved, unformatted, and it must not be backed up and restored by guidelines, but created afresh. On a system disk it is immediately after ESP, on a data disk it is at the front. MSR is not used currently,  opinion is that it can be left out. Its intention is replacement of track 0 of MBR disks.

• Thank for your support and we are trying to improve it all the time. The new version is coming.

• Admin have sent you a Private Message .. please respond. Thanks 

• Admin have replied to your private message, please respond 

• Thanks for the help Peter, I'll try that in the next run. For now things are working okay because I needed something reliable to preserve my dual boot drives. I've read through your links and that's really helpful. Note: I forgot to mention The Linux PXE booted fine but failed to detect my mouse and kb, so I then switched to the Windows PE PXE. (I think there's somewhere between 3-5gb dl to do this if I recall correctly)

Look forward to future versions of the s/w and hope Gnooby gets an answer as well. Cheers