Home AOMEI Products Support

Problems with allocated partition

Good morning everybody

First excuse my poor English but i'm sure you'll understand me.

I' m using cloners since  Ghost before Symantec. A long time ago

Then ten years using Drive Image. Also tested Acronis.

Now using Windows 7  cloner inside. All's fine with cloners 20 years long

Aomei have been recommended  by a famous French Site. Aomei is really very interessant.

But somthing is wrong. I explain.

I have 4 HD and eleven partitions. I  choose a  partition  S:  96 Go  as a target.

I format it.   As usual since 1998. OK. It's quite empty. 96 Mo free.

I start  AOMEI   Assistant.  Quick copy partition. I want to copy C. 100 Go.

I remember using Drive Image that the clone is 50% smaller.  Clone 50 Go finally. Good.

But Aomei refuse the target because it' allocated. All my eleven partitions are allocated.

What's the probleme ?  I had always do like that  since Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis and Window 7.

Something simple to do ?  I want to keep all my partitions like that.  And I do not want operate dangerous actions.

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• edited March 2016

Copy Partition with aomei PA goes into into space, not into a partition (how less user files are there).

• Ah ah. How to do ?

Into free space ?  I have any free spaces in my PC.

I'm using always partitions since W 95.

Impossible for me to use Aomei ?  I can't believe that.

The cloning action consist in copying an existing partition, of course  very often C towards an other existing partition on an other HD.  

Thanks.

• edited March 2016

Cloning, and copying partition, with Aomei, goes into unallocated space. (Aomei does not go by the instructions of other software you use since Windows 65, but it goes by its own instructions...). Please understand.

• How can you copy 100 GB into a 96 GB partition? You mention 50% smaller. That goes for backup into an image maybe. But a clone is 100% always.

• I'm so sorry but I can't understand what  you mean.  May by wrong transcription from French into English ?

From 1998  to 2016, using Ghost, Drive Image and now  Windows 7 every month then more than one hundred times I made "Images clones" in French. These famous softwares are all called cloners.

For example my partition C: was 50 gb.  More than one hundred times my image was 25 gb. 18 years long like that.  Partition 60 ? image 30. Etc.

An theses Images was and are still perfect.

I suppose  my boot sequence no more in order. Broken down.  Any boot. Dead end.

Never mind.  I boot on the special boot CD made by the software.

I choose the Image I prefer.  Often I keep two at two different places.

My image 25 gb  get back to C: format my C:  My C rebuilt is exactly 50 mb and full in order.

Thats exactly  what I wanted  to do using Aomei. 

My C: is 100Mb. I create an Image of 50 Gb, I move that image to a special partition made specially for that on an other HD.  Possible too on the cloud.

I understand perfectly the way of doing of Ghost, Drive Image, Acronis, Windows 7 and I ca'nt understand YOUR difference between image and clone.

For a lot of people I met on French forums it's exactly the same thing. I never read anywhere  in  18 years long that could be different.

I really apologize do not be able to understand.

• edited March 2016

Please try Aomei Backupper instead. It is free too. Maybe that's the origin of the misunderstanding. It has cloning and backup to image options.

If you copy a file from A to B that is a clone. A clone is an exact 100% copy. That's the meaning of clone. Think of the sheep Dolly, a cloned sheep, an exact duplicate of her mother. A zip file is like an image backup it is compressed and needs to be decompressed to retain the original size. So you mentioned clone but you meant an image backup.

An image does not need a special partition, it is a file, just like a zip file is a file. Since it is a file you need a formatted target drive with enouh space to hold the file. But I don't think you gonna realize 50% smaller. But that depends on the type of files and compression type.

By the way, I meant an amount of 100 GB used space can not be cloned into 96 GB.

• edited March 2016

BigBernie écrivez en français. Write in french.

This sentence is probably the key:

I ca'nt understand YOUR difference between image and clone.
    For a lot of people I met on French forums it's exactly the same thing.

En français, un image et un clone c'est la même chose selon vous. Mais Bernie, in todays backup world clone et image is not the same. Ce que vous voulez accomplir s'appelle aujourd'hui en anglais Disk Backup or Partition Backup, et en français, dans Aomei Backupper, Sauvegarde de disque ou Sauvegarde de partition.

Bernie wants a disk or partition backup and pretends that in the old programs, in french language, this was called clone, what we call image. Bernie should use Sauvegarder.

• Bon dimanche.

Pendant  18 ans j'ai fait des back up.  Que tout le monde appelait des clones. Ah bon.

Pour tester Aomei j'ai telecharge la version free  Partition Assistant.  Je n'ai pas reussi a obtenir ce que je voulais. Pas le bon logiciel.

En effet, l'image Backupper mise par Peter correspond EXACTEMENT a ce que je cherche.  TOUS les logiciels de " clonage" utilises par moi jusqu'a present se presentent  comme cette page simplifiee.

A cette difference que la ligne cloner  etait a utiliser uniquement pour changer de disque dur.  On transferait sa partition systeme vers un autre disque dur. Ca a toujours existe mais ça ne s'appelait pas cloner mais Transfert.

Partition Assistant est  très complexe.

Je n'apprends  rien a personne ici que  la reference  en la matiere a ete Power Quest. Repris par Symantec. Le celebre Partition Magic travaillait en duo avec Drive Image.

Tres dangereux jadis Partition Magic.

J'aurais telecharge Backupper je n'aurais pas eu le  plaisir de connaitre ce forum.

Partition Assistant est un "Partition Magic" actuel ? 

Bon week en et merci

• edited March 2016

@BigBernie Bernard Grand, I write in english this time.

You are right that in french forums a backup image is called a clone, sometimes, and to back up is called "to clone", sometimes..

Here is a quote from a more "heavy" site in this use of the word http://www.pcloisirs.eu/clone-windows-7.htm

L' image disque système est aussi appelé "Clone du système". Cette méthode était déjà accessible avec des logiciels payants tels que "Norton Ghost".

So the thread is about a misunderstanding, because in the english-chinese world a clone is a copy from hard disk to hard disk, and only backup creates an image, or Microsoft calls it "Create System Image" (Windows).

• Thanks a lot

Just and only misunderstanding. Never mind. All's fine now

Yours