Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper - Status / logs of a backup job running as service

Hi,

I have recently installed AOMEI Backupper to create a partition backup of my SSD (which only contains a single partition) to my RAID5.

This is scheduled to run once a week as a Windows service.

The first time I ran it ad-hoc and the backup worked. The first scheduled run was supposed to have yesterday night, but as my PC was powered off, it ran (tried?) to run this morning, when I powered on my PC.

However, things didn't go as planned. After my PC was on for a couple minutes, I got a blue screen saying "driver_power_state_failure". In the log files I found following error code: 0x8007000.

When I checked the folder that contains the backups, there was a 0 byte file called "Crucial SSD2.adi" (besides the  "Crucial SSD.adi" that was created ad-hoc).

When I checked again later that day, the file "Crucial SSD2.adi" became 14GB.

However, when using the AOMEI gui, I don't find any log files from today?

I also don't see the new backup in the list of backups for that backup job?

When manually browsing for the file to check it, AOMEI says "Invalid Image File".

My questions:

Where does AOMEI logs backups started by the service? (it must at least say somewhere that it started a backup, no??)

Can I see the progress of a backup running as a service somehow?

Any idea what this blue screen might be?

Thanks!

Comments

• I'll try to put the relevant event log messages here:

Just before the blu screen (7h59):

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.
    . This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:
       Gathering Writer Data

Context:
       Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}
       Writer Name: System Writer
       Writer Instance ID: {315cf24c-e29b-4b8a-adce-ad7e4a28225c}

An event that I noticed later that day (11h47):

The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

And another error later that day (13h51):

Faulting application name: Backupper.exe, version: 3.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x55f7d396
    Faulting module name: MSVCR80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.8428, time stamp: 0x520b1060
    Exception code: 0xc000000d
    Fault offset: 0x0001ce0b
    Faulting process id: 0x19e0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d16d6fc93fac08
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper\Backupper.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.8428_none_d08a11e2442dc25d\MSVCR80.dll
    Report Id: 070c0404-d963-11e5-8325-6cf0495d2a73
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

--> I suspect this one might be because I tried to open the *.adi file with AOMEI backupper?
  • "SSD (which only contains a single partition) to my RAID5."

What is your Raid5? hardware or software?

"but as my PC was powered off, it ran (tried?) to run this morning, when I powered on my PC."

Yes, it just run when the computer is running. When it cannot backup as scheduled, it will backup when you run the computer.

" After my PC was on for a couple minutes, I got a blue screen saying "driver_power_state_failure". In the log files I found following error code: 0x8007000."

Please try to run the backup manually, if also get the blue screen, send us the screenshot.

"However, when using the AOMEI gui, I don't find any log files from today?"

Is that the software do not run today?

"I also don't see the new backup in the list of backups for that backup job?"

You said it will run onece week, it will be backuped today?

"When manually browsing for the file to check it, AOMEI says "Invalid Image File"."

Please try to explore the backup image, maybe it is ok.

"Any idea what this blue screen might be?"

Please try to do the backup task manually.

• Hi admin,

Thanks for your response!

* It is a hardware LSI MegaRAID.

* I know that the backup is supposed run after poweron when it misses a schedule. That is also my intention.

* Later that afternoon I have tried the following: At 14h45 I changed the schedule from 1h30 (at night) to 14h50 (so that it would start again in 5 minutes). I left the GUI open and after 5 minutes it started the backup in the GUI (I'm not sure if that is the same as when it runs the backup as service). The backup completed successful that time (so no blue screen), there was a log and I could follow the progress in the GUI.

* "Is that the software do not run today?" I do not understand your question... I'll try to ask my question again: After missing the scheduled backup, I powered on my PC. The AOMEI service started the missed backup (this is proved by the creation of a 0 bytes "Crucial SSD2.adi" file) and crashed a little later with a blue screen. After rebooting the PC, I opened AOMEI backupper GUI, went to "Utilities", "View Logs" and noticed that there was NO log of the "Crucial SSD2.adi" backup! I would expect at least a log file saying that it started a missed backup, even if that backup fails.

Also later that day, when "Crucial SSD2.adi" became 14GB, there was no log file of any backup that day.

* I'll explain my schedule: Monday 1h30am weekly, I have a backup scheduled for the Crucial SSD. This week my PC was powered off at that time. So when I powered on my PC on Monday 8h00am, it started the missed backup. Today (on Tuesday) there is no backup planned.

* I already removed the "Invalid Image File", so I'm afraid I can no longer try.

* Currently my PC is running an important task that I can't have fail. I'll retry to simulate a missed backup after that completes (might take a couple days)

Thanks!

• "crashed a little later with a blue screen"

Bckupper just backup the data, it will not make the computer to blue screnn normally, but we do not know why it is happening. Sorry for that.

" I opened AOMEI backupper GUI, went to "Utilities", "View Logs" and noticed that there was NO log of the "Crucial SSD2.adi" backup!"

You cannot find the log of that backup because that backup task doesn't start to backup the data, so there is no log.

Actaully, if you backup the data, it will show the log even if it is failed.

Sorry for all of that again.

• edited February 2016

Then how is it possible that "Crucial SSD2.adi" was created, but no log file for it exists? The creation of that file does mean that EOMEI started a backup, no?

• Fyi: the important task that I'm running (read-write-read surface scan of a 8TB HDD) will take at least till Monday morning. So I'll only be able to proceed AOMEI testing after that...

• "Then how is it possible that "Crucial SSD2.adi" was created"

It cannot show the image if the there is no log normally, Mayeb there is something wrong.

Hoep you can send us the log in the installation directory, we will analyse it.

Thanks for your support.

• Hi,

I just discovered that the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\AOMEI Backupper\log contains a lot more log files than that the GUI is showing!

Below some of those log files...

Log file of the backup during which I had the blue screen (0 bytes "Crucial SSD2.adi"):

imagelog7.txt

Log
    file of a backup (not initiated by me) 20 minutes later ("Crucial
    SSD2.adi" became 14GB by this, I guess it auto "resumed" the failed
    backup?):

imagelog8.txt

Manually initiated (no schedule) backup later that day which was  successful:

imagelog9.txt

• OK, we will analyse it. Thanks for your feedback Mastakilla 

• fyi:

Almost a year later I notice the following pattern (true until the latest version of AOMEI Backupper):

* All backups started  by the service complete successfully according to AOMEI, but when running a check on them afterwards, they are broken.

* All manually started backups from the GUI complete successfully according to AOMEI and when running a check on them afterwards, they are valid.

A few days ago I finally found a workaround on this behaviour:

* The AOMEI service runs under the system account

* Manually started backups run as my personal ID (with admin rights)

* Forcing the service to run as my personal ID solves the issue (backups started as a service are now also ok)

So I'm afraid something is still buggy, but at least I now have a workaround...

• Sorry I was wrong... I still get corrupt backups. Lately even backups
    started from the GUI are not working... I'm going to try switching to a
    different program :(

AOMEI looks nice, but in my case, it simply does not work