Home AOMEI Products Support

After backup & restore, computer boots into advanced startup???

Hi,

Today I downloaded Aomei Backupper, viewed some videos on how to backup & restore, then executed.

Both times, I've created a system backup, using the correct destination ( a colleagues ssd on laptop) and each time, when I boot, it goes straight into recovery mode/advanced startup and will not load windows 10.  I've also checked the boot menu to ensure its set to boot the SSD, not the usb bootable disk.

Please help, not sure what to do now besides start over with a reset?

Comments

• edited February 2016

Do I understand correctly that you made a backup on an external medium and then restored this backup on a laptop from a colleague? Of course this will never be a legal copy of Windows. Besides that, are both source and destination computer, BIOS driven with MBR disks or UEFI driven with GPT? You cannot mix them. And did you check the box of dissimilar hardware when restoring?

• edited February 2016

you may try this:

boot the laptop from a bootable media, go into Utilities->Windows command shell, and type bcdboot c:\windows   (where c: is the drive letter, in the bootable media, of your Windows 10 partition. And check using dir c:,  dir d: and so on, it could be a higher drive letter, if dir c: does not indicate expected contents like Users, Program Files, Windows ).

It is not clear what you mean by advanced startup, was there a more precise error message (perhaps in original your language). Checking boot from SSD only means that the Windows boot manager boots (which it does indeed, but yours does not proceed into Windows 10 or Windows Recovery Environment). Usually Advanced startup will not be available in this situation because it belongs to Windows Recovery Environment. I could imagine that it is a remaining WinRE from the previous contents of the SSD.

• "I've created a system backup, using the correct destination ( a colleagues ssd on laptop)" You create the system backup in your computer, then save the image to the SSD laptop of your colleague? So sorry for the unclear understadning.

" each time, when I boot, it goes straight into recovery mode/advanced startup and will not load windows 10."

How you do the restore? the bootable USB?

Hope you can give us more details step by step.