Home AOMEI Products Support

Backup to rotated drives

Hello

I've created a backup task to perform a monthly full disk backup every first friday of the month. I'm using two separate usb drives (A and B).

Usb drive A is used to store the backups performed during the odd months (1,3,5,7,9,11) and usb drive B is used to store the backups performed during the even months (2,4,6,8,10,12).

The usb drives are attached to a NAS and the backup folders are accessible over the network.

On the first friday of january the backups were successfull, so I've detached drive A and attached drive B. Because I've created only one backup task for both the drives, I've created the same folder structures on the two drives. 

When I wanted to check the connection between the software and the backup location, this didn't work. Aomei always says it couldn't find the backup files. I've detached drive B and attached drive A again, but I got the same error.

This means I have to recreate the backup task every month when I switch the usb drives.

Does anyone have a solution for this issue?

Comments

• I think you should use 2 backup profles (tasks). 

• I'm missing that you did the backup to USB disk B, but first friday in february has not passed and will be after-tomorrow. It is no surprise that it did not find the backup on USB disk B. Surprise is that the error is sticky and hinders USB disk A.

You can start a Recovery, using Path to select USB disk A file .adi, and then cancel. It learns the backup job again.

• This is full error:

image2016-02-04 08_53_45-Information.png

Aomei can't even find the backup configuration after changing disk, but the drive letters and the folder structure are exactly the same for drive A and B.

• edited February 2016

I miss that you would describe on what command the error was produced, and it is what makes the difference: However I tried, Advanced->command does not work, but Backup->command does work.  I'm also able to rotate back. I did not do it on disks accessed thru NAS, but on 2 local partitions.

Please do Backup instead of Edit Backup or Properties, onto the rotated disk (tomorrow, first friday in february, or perhaps today) and it even creates all required folders. Drive letter needs to be the same. Then you get what you what.

But, I suggest you do two backup jobs, as in #1, and assign different drive letters to your two disks. I consider it not good that any disk with the right drive letter is used for backup. There are known incidents when the wrong removable disk, but with the right drive letter, is used for backup and later one does not know where the backup has gone to (+ in this case an incremental backup may be commanded and a full backup is performed).

It is much better to watch out for Information Code:4101 Failed to Create File under the progress bar, when the right disk is not attached, and the error is not well visible.