Home AOMEI Products Support

Problems with command line operation of Aomei Backupper Pro 3.2

edited January 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

I have set up a system backup with Aomei backupper and I wish to be able to run it from the command line but when operated like this, it does not send an email notification, although this works when the backup is run from within Aomei Backupper 3.2.

The other big problem is that when I establish a backup scheme, and I have tried this with the differential scheme and the space management scheme, Backupper never deletes any backups to make space for new ones but simply stops with the message that there is insufficient space for the backup.   The only way to manage schemes appears to be by manually deleting backups, which rather defeats the purpose of a scheme.  Any thoughts on how to get deletions working?

Comments

• Sorry for all of that.

"it does not send an email notification,"

Please send us the log in the installation directory.

"Backupper never deletes any backups"

Please send us your task setting of the schedule and the scheme.

Also the picture of the view log.

Waiting for your reply.

• Please find log file attached for latest backup. 

imagelog78.txt

This is simply a full backup using
    AMbackup.exe but I don't think there is any way that backupper can be
    configured to send an email when using the command line version because
    there is no configuration file to call.  This would not be so bad if
    AMbackup gave a non-zero exit error code when it failed but it seems to
    exit with zero whatever happens so there is no way of catching an error
    code and using that to alert to a failure when running in  a BATCH file.

Another problem.  There appears to be no way to validate a backup using the command line version.

I am not sure what you  want from the 'view log' but it says 'partition full backup' and 'success'

As for the schedule and scheme I have tried setting various options but none seem to do what I need.  I believe the problem may be that backupper will only delete files after it has carried out a backup for a scheme.  What I have found is that when there is no room for a new backup before backupper is run, then it exits saying no room.  Perhaps if there were an option to delete files before running the backup it would work.  However, as far as I can see there is no possibility of running a scheme from the command line because, as I noted above, there is no scheme configuration file that can be called when a backup is run.
  • OK, adding to my message above, I have now managed to get a differential scheme working and deleting files.  It confirms what I had thought that deletion takes place after the new backup has been created which is fine if you have plenty of space but less fine if space is limited.  I have 35GB and a system backup is 10GB.  Taking account of the fact that there needs to be a 10GB initial file that forms the basis for the backup scheme, there is only ever room for two new backups (plus one eventually very old one).

Given these limitations, the only way I can get AMbackup to work for me is if it provides the correct error codes on exit, as noted above.  Can you do anything about that?   And can you also provide the ability to validate from the command line?

Thanks

• edited January 2016

What is the software partition used for (installers or installed programs?). Installed programs would better be on C: not on D:, that is C: and D: should be combined, and be a new C: on disk 0 of around 60GB.  It does not make sense to have 6 GB/40GB separated from C:. and combined OS and programs will make just only 25GB.

Programs as a rule should not be in a separate partition, because they interact heavily with registry, Common Files, ProgramData and AppData which are all on C:

When software partition is installers - installers are data and go to E:.

And as I understand right how disk 1 is partitioned, then: on disk 1 BK-*** there should be just one partition, as policy, instead of three. Backups of all three (two) kinds should go into the same partition. There will be enough maneuvring free space when you combine them.

(I did read log78.txt, and thank AOMEI for producing it).

• "Can you do anything about that?"

Actually, it fails to delete it because the space is not enough to save the image.

Attached is the scheme information. 

imagedifferential and incremantel backup.doc

"And can you also provide the ability to validate from the command line?"

Sorry for that, there is no notification in command line. Maybe we will consider this functionality in the future.

• The choice of disk partitioning depends on your philosophy.  I have used this system for 15 or 20 years now.  Operating system on c:, applications on d: and data on e:  Then, if the operating system fails -- and that is the usual scenario -- only that needs to be restored and is usually quick and painless.  Registry can cope with programs installed anywhere.  As for the backup drive, two of the partitions are mirrors of d: and e; while the other contains the Aomei system backup. Again it is a system that has worked well for me over a long period and I see no need to change it.