Home AOMEI Products Support

windows 10 hdd change

hiho

i've made a system-backup from my win10-system-drive (m2.ssd) to an external usb hdd.

Then i replaced the m2.ssd with another one and made a system-restore to the new m2.ssd.

After finishing restore i rebooted machine.

result: permanently reboot with "inaccessible_boot_device" ...

my board has only one m2.ssd slot. So I'm unable to clone the system directly.

Where's my fault?

Comments

• Possible causes:

"Joe The Man 565's post on September 5, 2015

I had that same problem while using a dual boot. I tried many different things, and finally, I realized something.  The AHCI  setting in Bios, was Enabled.  This then kept the hard drive and OS from booting up. Earlier, when I installed my SSD drive, I did not do so with the AHCI enabled,  it was in IDE mode.  So when I changed it to AHCI Mode, it would not allow me to start up.  I had to switch back to IDE and start up on IDE.

I could not run in AHCI mode with my SSD drive. But I solved that problem.  As follows.

CURE for that, is to set BIOS to IDE, start computer.  Once running, click on RUN and type in MSCONFIG. EXE 

The dialog box will come up, and then you click on SAFEMODE to enable the computer to start up in SAFEMODE.  Turn off the computer, get into BIOS and now set it to AHCI.   Restart computer, and it will come up in SAFEMODE.  Again click on RUN, type in MSCONFIG.EXE and turn off the SAFEMODE ( unclick the box).  Restart and your computer will now run in AHCI mode. 

The error " Inaccessible Boot Device " comes in because it cannot access the boot in AHCI mode, until you get in and change it, while in SAFE MODE.  Once you change it, it will remain in AHCI and work okay."

Another possiblility if you have a UEFI bios, try turning off the "Secure Boot" option & see if that helps.

There are several other possiblilties but these two are quick and easy to check in the bios. If they do not resolve your problem then we can try some other steps.

• edited January 2016

you could do a disk backup and then a disk restore. System backup is not meant for hdd replacement, although your computer is a system.

The new disk has to be prepared in style MBR or GPT, as Backupper will not do it. You need the Utilities, Windows Shell command, diskpart to do this, from the Backupper bootable media. The default is MBR style.

If that is not enough, you would need bcdboot.

From Utilities, Windows Shell command, from the Backupper bootable media, the basic command is bcdboot c:\windows. This tells UEFI firmware to learn the new disk. You could try this command first, but there is a risk that the old disk does no longer boot because UEFI firmware forgets the old disk.

(System backup is meant for restoring C: and auxilliary partitions to
    the exactly same place in case its contents, OS and programs, have gone
    corrupt, but partitions are still the same, with the very same partition
    ids.)

( the word drive means a partition, e.g. C:. the full device is called disk. system-drive is not C: but in BIOS it is system partition of 500MB (sometimes integrated into C:), in UEFI it is ESP partition of around 260MB.)

(UEFI firmware knows the disk partitions by their unique id. Because of this bcdboot is useful. BIOS simply goes for the MBR and the MBR goes for the active partition).

HTH.

• Thanks your guys for all the solutions.

First, if you want to do replace the hdd eith the new one.

You need to create the bootable USB first, then do the disk backup.Please save the backup image in this USB.

When you fihish the restore and start to boot it.

You need reboot into the BIOS to amend the boot mode such as UEFI or Legacy by yourself. UEFI is for GPT and Legacy is for MBR. And also if your new HDD gpt, please sure that the mother board support UEFI.

Hope this is useful.