Home AOMEI Products Support

Newby Needs Some Understanding

I have a new windows 7 laptop.  I want to be able to do backups to a connected USB drive, such that if my hard drive fails, I can boot the laptop from the usb drive until I am able to have the harddrive repaired.  Is this doable with AOMEI and if so by what backup method?  Also, when the hard drive is repaired can I load the new drive from the USB drive using AOMEI?

Comments

• You cannot boot from backup images. You can restore the backup with the bootable CD created in the utilities menu, on a new or repaired HDD. But you can clone your HDD. It would be the easiest to clone to a HDD/SSD of the same size (2,5") and the same connection (probably SATA) connected with a special cable or within a special external case. You can swap the drives if needed. Old one out of the laptop, cloned HDD in. Than you can boot of course. Maybe you can boot from the USB with some special software/tricks. Google it. Test it. But the easiest way is using the same kind of drive you have built in the laptop. That wil always work.

• Thank you Johnny.

"such that if my hard drive fails, I can boot the laptop from the usb drive until I am able to have the harddrive repaired"

Sorry, you cannot use the USB to boot your system.Because it is just backup image, you need to restore it to the disk. Then you can find it.

" Also, when the hard drive is repaired can I load the new drive from the USB drive using AOMEI?"

You can do it in this way, when your disk  is repaired, you restore the image to it.

1,Create a WINPE bootable media by Aomei Backupper.

2,Do a disk backup by Aomei Backupper.

3,Do a system backup by Aomei Backupper.

4,When the drive is repaired,please install the it.

5,Boot your computer with WINPE bootable media.

6,Then you can restore your disk backup.

7,Your disk is copied to your drive.

8,You can boot your computer now.

Hope this is useful for you.

• Your PC can not be booted by your usb drive. If you wanted to boot your pc while ur HDD is broken. U should create a WINPE bootable media by Aomei Backupper and boot into win PE, then restore ur backup file to your new HDD or ur old HDD till it get repaired.

Then U can boot your PC.

• Thank you all for the assistance.  Most appreciated.