Home AOMEI Products Support

Partition Assistant eats up free partition space on error

edited January 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

I tried to reduce size size of a SSD partition by 20GB, but the operation always ends with error code 215. But more importantly, the disk free space gets smaller by 20GB after each such attempt! After 3 attempts, now I have 176GB full and 55GB free out of total 293GB (evidently 60GB have dissapeared somewhere).

How do I reclaim the lost disk space back?

Details:

Windows 7 Pro x64, AOMEI Partition Assistant Std 6.0 (the problem occurred with v. 5.5 as well),

The partition I'm trying to reduce resides on a 931GB SSD. I'm trying to reduce the partition from left, so that the Partition Assistant has to move the data. The operation was performed in the PreOS mode. The error code 215 occurred during the "Analyzing volume" phase (268179/491584, 54%) where I would expect that no changes to the partition were written yet.

Also, the error code 215 is strange to me for a SSD disk, as its description reads: "Too many fragment files need to be defragmented. Or reserved space is insufficient."

Comments

• I still consider this an error of Partition Assistant, though I have succeeded to reclaim the disk space back.

I have defragmented the partition and checked it for errors. Then I tried to reduce the size of the partition again , though this time not from PreOS, but directly from Windows. The resize operation succeeded, but reduced the size not for the 20GB as it should, but for 80GB, including the lost GB. 20GB from the left, and the lost 60GB from the right.

• hi xarx,
    Feel sorry to hear the issue you've encountered and glad to hear that you've got your space back and works well.
    we suggest you to run defrag the partition with Windows Defragment or SmartDefrag before the operation. Otherwise if you do not want to defrag, you may release more free  space or reserve more free space for the partition.

• Thank you. But that was not the main problem. The main problem was that Partition Assistant left the partition in an inconsistent state, after an - in my opinion - harmless error code.

Nevertheless, I'm very satisfied with your products! Bye.

• Thanks for your support!