Home AOMEI Products Support

Modified order of disk letters following Disk Restore

edited January 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

I'm using Aomei Backupper 3.2 on a Lenovo Thinkpad E-540 with Windows 8.1.

Everytime I make a Disk Restore the order of my disks is changed and the boot loader can't find the C:-disk with the operating system until I use bcdboot to re-assign the correct volume.

In fact, while I originally have the OS on C:, DVD on D: and a backup disk on E:, after restore I get the DVD on E: and the backup disk on D:.

Why does this happen? Can I influence the correct mapping of the disks with Aomei when restoring?

Thanks for your suggestions

Peter

Comments

• hi peterD
    Sorry for the inconvenience. Our prodcut need to re-assign the drive letter while you do a restore. That maybe because letter D was occupied by some process at that moment so our program directly assign E to your D partition.

• Thanks for your answer. Does it work the same way for the number of volumes/partitions without drive letter? This would explain the problem of finding the appropriate boot loader.

Peter

• edited January 2016

1) you obviously do not complain about winPE drive letters, but in the real OS.

2) could it be that backupper creates the wrong number of partitions? it is know that it sometimes creates extra SYSTEM (ESP) and extra WINRE partitions? where BCDBOOT finds the correct partitions among them.

3) could it be that not Backupper but BCDBOOT causes change of the drive letters? The swapping of D: and E: drive letters looks more like BCDBOOT (by reordering devices, and it is agreed that BCDBOOT should not be necessary). And it is strange that the external disk comes before the DVD, but it would be correct that the internal disk comes before the DVD).

BCDBOOT does not "reassign drive letters", but corrects BCD Store which is in the hidden partition. The drive letters are assigned later by Windows on boot, when it boots from the correct partitions.

• I guess backupper creates the wrong number of wrong sequence of partitions.

Everytime I restore the full disk, I first get the famous "0xc0000225 boot error", stating that winload.efi is missing. Inspection with Command Prompt shows, however, that winload.efi is indeed present in C:\windows\system32\. Therefore, the system obviously is looking for this file in another partition after restore win aoimei. I can't explain why.

I can easily correct it with bcdboot - but I think amomei should avoid this error.

Peter

• edited January 2016

PeterD, the partitions GUIDs are different after restore, and they are used in lot in BCD and in firmware. (I'm not able to repair except by using bcdboot). Partition table sequence numbers are also being used there, and probably cannot be influenced reliably.