Home AOMEI Products Support

My laptop Freezes when Cloning the C drive partition (Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit)

edited January 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi there, I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit with Service pack 2.

After installing AOMEI 3.2, I have been trying to clone my "C" drive partition on to a new hard disk by using "System Partition", however after about 700-800 mb copying, my laptop freezes. I have already cloned "D" drive (data partition) on to the new hard disk by using "Partition Clone" with no problem.

I also tried to use "Partition clone" for the "C" drive, however had the same problem.

The old hard disk is in the laptop and the new hard disk is connected to the laptop via a USB cable.

Could you please advise what needs to be done to rectify the problem. Thank you 

Comments

• Sorry for that.

We are wondering why you want to clone your "C" partition?

1, You want to clone the system?

2, Or you just want to clone the data in "C" partition.

If you want to clone the system, you can use system clone to finish your task.

Please give us the screeshot of the error.

Waiting for your reply.

• edited January 2016

That does not work anyway, a USB disk is not the same as an internal disk. Better do a Disk Backup onto the plainly formatted USB disk and a Disk Restore to the new internal disk, or an Explore Image to access the data.

• I have already ran chkdsk and defragment a couple of times and tried to clone with “System Clone” however, my laptop freezes and I have to turn off mylaptop.

I just want to upgrade my HDD to a larger size without reinstalling the operatingsystem (Windows) and other applications again.

I was wondering if AOMEI Backupper can really Clone the System partition while the operating system is running.  Thankyou

• edited January 2016

you should do a disk backup and a disk restore, and support will probably tell you the same. You can't clone on a laptop at all, as it has only one disk slot. External disks do not work for your intention.

There is no such good word as "system partition", as it can have a lot of meanings dependng on your actual hardware. It is not understood.

• Yes, Peter is right.

If you the larger disk is not in your computer, you need to do the disk backup and restore it to your new disk with USB. Or you can connect your disk to computer with the disk box, then you can do the disk clone.

Replace the disk with USB.

1,Create a WINPE bootable media  by Aomei Backupper.

2,Do a disk backup by Aomei Backupper.

3,Do a system backup by Aomei Backupper.

4,When you have the new drive,please install the new hard drive.

5,Boot your computer with WINPE bootable media.

6,Then you can restore your disk backup.

7,Your disk is copied to your new drive.

8,You can boot your computer now.

Hope this is useful for you.

PS:if you do not boot your computer now,you can restore the system backup again.