Home AOMEI Products Support

Unable to Restore: Error

I'm having some troubles restoring a backup I created with AOMEI Backupper.  I keep receiving the same error, which is that the filenames are too long and that I need to restore to the original location.  However, I am doing this because I migrated my drive to an SSD which is now C: and it's smaller than the archive, which is typical.  There is no way for me to go back and rename the files because they are already archived.  I have tried both restoring as well as creating an image to explore, and I receive the error in both situations.  The error I received most recently was 

I've seen other threads about this issue but they are either a) unresolved or b) I tried the solution (either Explore Image or restore to original location) and it didn't work.

Comments

• edited December 2015

You can try to extract the troublesome files to a folder with a shorter name chain, e.g. file

c:\users\longusername\desktop\verylongfoldername\verylongfoldername\verylongfoldername\documentwithlongfoldernameprobablyfromwebpage.pdf

extract manually to

c:\users\shortuser\A\documentwithlongfoldernameprobablyfromwebpage.pdf

I did this on another tool with the same issues with success.

HTH.

• Doesn't really help me - I'm extracting to the root directory of a newly formatted drive

Good idea in general, though

• edited January 2016

That is, you try extracting that single file, or one of them, to the root directory?

And you did not say disk backup, i.e. what kind of backup it is. And you mention that the new disk is smaller than the image file ("archive") - but why it is related to the problem? And what is archive and archived exactly, anyway.

And you still have the original disk.

And you did not say a single example of a file, but you should see them in the explore view.

it seems there is not enough information given (which typically correlates).