Home AOMEI Products Support

Need help figuring out System Clone

Hi, my hard drive is about to die.  I'm getting my computer repaired next week.  In the meantime I've used AOMEI to create a system clone to my external hard drive.  Can I boot my computer using my external hard drive.  I've tried using the advanced Windows 8.1 system and accesssed the BIOS boot manager but it doesn't recognize my hard drive as a USB.

Also how to I move my cloned system to my new hard drive once I get it installed?  Will I have to clone it again using system clone--cloning from my external hard drive to my new hard drive?

Any help appreciated.  I'm a complete novice!

Comments

• edited December 2015

no windows does not run on external disk, it is designed to run on internal disks. That is unless some involved hack by linux people.

And you would better do a disk backup to your external disk. This means

a) not a system ....., but a disk.... and b) not a ..... clone, but a ....backup.

External disks have other properties that make them different from internal disks, for example 4K management is different (4K on USB is native, but on internal disks 4K gets translated to 512B by the hardware). This would hurt on attaching an internal disk using a special USB-SATA interface, say. (but you did not intend to do this).

Additionally  you can't boot your computer from external disk, because the computer is in repair.

Additionally you should do a Create Disc Image from File History from the control panel, as a double measure.

• Thanks.  I'll try that

• edited December 2015

For your questions,if you clone the system to an external hard drive,you can not use it boot your system directly.

Because the system which be cloned must be running when you clone,that is to say,you need to clone the system you run now to the disk you need to use.

But it dosen't matter,you can do it in this way.

1,Create a WINPE bootable media  by Aomei Backupper.

2,Do a disk backup by Aomei Backupper.

3,Do a system backup by Aomei Backupper.

4,When you have the new drive,please install the new hard drive.

5,Boot your computer with WINPE bootable media.

6,Then you can restore your disk backup.

7,Your disk is copied to your new drive.

8,You can boot your computer now.

if you cannot boot your computer now,you can restore the system backup as the double measure

• edited December 2015

admin, you are right, a WinPE bootable media of Backupper needs to be created, for doing restore. And when "Create disc image" as proposed in #1 is done, it would ask to create an emergency medium, and should be done too.

And same question (as in another thread  http://www.aomeitech.com/forum/discussion/2534/which-backup-methods-do-i-need#Item_4) why is system backup recommended in addition to disk backup?

• System backup just is the double gurantee.Thank you.

• Can't seem to get the unlock key/file for system clone.