Home AOMEI Products Support

Onekey Recovery ISO file failure

edited October 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi, I wonder if you can help.

I have a freesh install of Windows Vista Home Premium x86 running on a HP laptop with a 160Gb HDD. This is set up currently with 120Gb allocated and 40Gb unallocated.

I have installed Onekey Recovery 1.2 and am trying to run the Onekey System Backup for the first time.

When I press the system backup button, i choose the option to back up to AOMEI Recovery Partition, then next.

I get a screen telling me to preview and confirm changes, Onekey wants to create a 12.46Gb partition. I click "start backup"

I then see a progress bar - this goes to 25% - marking system partition. Then Creating Windows PE. It goes to 36%, then 42%, then 100% with the message "Creating ISO file failed". I have reinstalled the application numerous times, and I always get the same error.

What am I doing wrong? Do you need any more information to be able to help me?

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Comments

• dmadma
    edited January 2016

Exactly same thing happened to me. Windows10 x64 (upgraded from windows 7), 120G for C: and 88G assigned to set up the recovery. Yet, it failed for the reason "Creating ISO file failed". Please suggest. Thanks!

• Please try to do it again.If you meet the same error, give us the screenshot.

• I have the same problem and have re-tried multiple times with no success. Is there a solution?

• it is strange that you (thestudios) get a message about an ISO file. I have seen other, just plain failed message, and this is what I then did. You can try to increase the recovery partition by hand a bit (using AOMEI Partition Assistant). You can also just try again in the PE environment when you get the message and it might succeed.

• Hi Peter, thanks for responding. Yes I thought receiving the failed ISO message was strange too, as I was expecting the software to just work.  I have already increased the size of the recovery partition ('unallicated space') but it still failed.  The USED space of C Drive is currently just under 14GB, and the Unallocated size of the spare partition is just over 29GB, so I was surprised it failed.

When I tried the software the first time, there was No unallocated space so I chose the option: "Backup system to AOMEI OneKey Recovery Partition (Recommended)"; althoug in giving that option the software doesn't make it clear whaether it's going to make the partition itself, or whether the end user is going to make (or have to make) a spare partition themselves. (personally, I like things spelt-out a bit).

It's possible that I've misunderstood the software, but I assumed that it would make the recovery partition itself, by slicing the end of C Drive off and making one itself.

If the Programmer/s would be willing to change something so that the error doesn't happen, or offer any known solution I'd appreciate it and would be willing to try again, as the simplicity of the software is what drew me to  it in the first place.  If not, I'll have to use something else.

If the conditions are right (i.e, there's enough unallocated space for
    the backup, or maybe the software should make it itself?); then in my
    opinion an end-user shouldn't have to work things out.

• "I have the same problem and have re-tried multiple times with no success. Is there a solution?"

Please check if the recovery partition is created sucessfully?

• Hi Admin, thanks for the reply.  I have checked, actually that's one of the first things I did.  It wasn't created.  I tried later by creating one myself. Both results end up with: "Creating ISO failed."

• edited February 2016

+

My surprise is not get an error message at all, but
    specifically one about ISO file. There is an ampe.iso file, that Aomei
    wants to store in the hidden folder c:\Aomei. This could cause the error
    message. It is the only ISO file that plays a role. Suggestion is to
    remove the c:\aomei folder, make sure there is room on c:, and make sure
    that no virus protection inhibits writing to c:

• edited February 2016

Hi Peter, I tried your suggestion but didn't find a hidden folder called c:\Aomei (I made sure "hidden files and folders" were unticked in XP Folder View settings) but it wasn't there.

There's also plenty of spare room on C drive. No antivirus installed as it's a fairly fresh installation of XP.

• edited February 2016

I tried on Windows XP and got the same error Creating Windows PE... Creating ISO file failed. The same happens when trying to create the Backupper PE bootable media. It is an issue of AOMEI with the (old) AIK. On more current OS no more AIK or ADK is needed and seems this is a point for the newer OS.

I suggest running Backupper, creating the Linux bootable media, and take that as a working solution on XP.  I also tried a Backupper PE bootable medium, that I created on an x86, MBR, Windows10 system, and it worked against XP. (I have several virtual machines, that's why I can do it). What can be said that AOMEI reliably copies and restores the contents of C:, this was never a problem in all my tests.

All three issues here, #0 #1 #3  are with AIK.

• edited February 2016

Peter, Excellent post. This is the information I needed, as I now know not to bother using it on XP.

I have other software which works just fine on XP, such as Farstone's  'PC System Recovery'.  It's no longer available to the public but I managed to buy it before they stopped access to it as it was really only for OEMs.  PCSR works by creating a  "Press F4 to enter Recovery"  prompt at bootup.

I've also got Paragon's  'Backup & Recovery 14 Free'  which works fine on XP also, but you need to make Recovery Media  (either to a CD, or USB Pen)  to access the Recovery Partition you can make with it called the 'Capsule.'  Either is fine for me for XP, but I prefer using backup/recovery software by pressing a key at bootup, instead of having to have recovery media available (PCSR does this, Paragon does Not...unless you buy it, apparently).

But for Windows 7, as I've just tested it on one of my other laptops with Windows 7, I just tried 'OneTouch' and I must say it work floorlessly!, ....which is what I was hoping for in XP, but it's no big deal.

I'll probably always use 'OneTouch' for Windows 7 as it's simple and has just the right amount of minimal features without being complicated, and that's the sort of software I like..... simple but effective!  - (I've only just migrated over to Windows 7, by the way).

Thanks again Peter for your help by providing me the reason for the failed XP backup (the MS AIK). Much appreciated, as I can now move foreward.  What can I say?... OneKey is excellent!

Kind regards,

Earl.

Backup & Recovery 14 Free Edition

• edited February 2016

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE RE: Windows XP installation of OneKey:  SUCCESS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peter you got me thinking so I tried the Windows 7 version of AIK instead going the boot-media way.  I didn't think the Win7 version of AIK would install on XP, but it did!

'OneKey' has now backed up my XP system with NO "iso failure" error!  To me, it looks like that's the solution:

---> IF using Windows XP <---

Install the Win7 version of AIK, NOT the XP version - (maybe this requirement could be documented by Admin on the OneKey product page on the site?

All is good now and I'm incredibly happy with 'OneKey'!  It now works on XP as it should.

Thankyou Peter for unlocking my mind on getting this issue fully fixed, your input was vital! - (by the way:  There's no need to create bootable media for XP now, as Win7 AIK worked flawlessly)..... very much appreciated!

I hope this helps someone else.

Kind regards,

Earl.

• "Creating ISO failed"

Please check that is the Aomei recovery partition created sucessfully?

• "Creating ISO failed" in short the Win7 AIK is the right one to use, I just read the prerequisites of it and they mislead me to the XP AIK version. As thestudios have found and I confirm.