Home AOMEI Products Support

Invalid Image error

Hiya,

I've encountered an odd problem. I made an image using System Backup (under AOMEI Backupper Pro 3.1), and since this is my first time attempting to use this software, I decided to use Universal Restore to restore the system to another machine first (a laptop). I read all the online support docs, made a WinPE boot disc using the option under Utilities, wiped and re-partitioned the destination drive, attached the ancillary drive holding the image to the laptop via USB, got together all the drivers that will be needed for the new hardware into a folder, and then booted up with the boot cd.

It booted up fine, and automatically opened AOMEI Backupper, as expected. I then chose Restore/Universal Restore and browsed to the system image. Immediately I received an error saying the image wasn't valid, was damaged, or that I was using an incompatible version of the software. The disc was created using the same (3.1) software that created the image, so that didn't make sense to me. I then went back to the original machine and ran a check on the image. Took awhile, but in the end AB said it was good.

At this point I'm stumped. I recall there being an alternate method of creating a boot disc, so wonder if the problem may lie in that area, but don't have enough experience with this software to make any sort of logical deduction. Beyond that possibility, though, no ideas spring to mind.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

Note: Not that it has any bearing on the above problem, but for clarity's sake, beyond installing the system to the laptop, the ultimate goal is to correct a mistake I made on the original system. I made the ever-growing blunder of using MBR on a primary (C:\) 4TB drive, and now need to switch to GPT. Naturally, I didn't realize my mistake until long after the system was fully set-up and tons of software registered that can't all be re-installed. Thus my desire to use Universal Restore on the original PC so I can "save" the installation while being able to finally utilize the entire drive. If I can successfully restore the system to the laptop, I'll be confident enough to repeat the process on the primary machine.

Comments

• Hi,

Did you try check the image under the boot disk: Utilities--Check Image--Path to browse the path to open the image file. What the result is? 

• Hi,

Yes, I tried that. Got a message saying that the image was either corrupt, or that the software versions didn't match (paraphrasing from memory). However, using the software on the source machine (the same PC that generated the boot disc) the image checks out just fine. Makes no sense.