Home AOMEI Products Support

Continuous Reboot following Aomei Backupper restore

edited March 2014 in AOMEI Products Support
I used Backupper to create a System Backup and at the same time created a WinPE CD. A couple of weeks later, I suffered a crash following a (supposedly) routine Windows 7 Update.

My backup was saved on an external drive, so I simply put my WinPE disc in the DVD drive and restored the system using my Aomei backup file.

When I rebooted my computer after the restore, the computer seemed to boot normally but when it got to the "Starting Windows" screen with the spiraling colored icons, it rebooted, went through the same process from the Computer logo to the Starting Windows screen, then back to reboot. This repeated over and over. I never did get to the Windows logon screen.

There was nothing to do but completely reinstall Windows 7 from the disk provided by the manufacturer. Fortunately, reinstalling Backupper on the new installation, I was able to rescue some settings and files from the previous installation's backup file.

Although I have a basic, working system now, there were a lot of settings and programs that I was unable to restore or at least which will take a long time to recover (things like sound card drivers which have been a big problem to get reinstalled).

I would be willing to go so far as to buy a new Msata Drive if I thought that I could restore my Aomei Backupper file to the new drive - but first I would need to know why the restore failed the first time. I put a year into tweaking the original installation and I've only started to tweak the new one, so it would still be beneficial to re-install my original OS and files as they were at the time of backup.

Additional Info: My OS drive is a Samsung Msata drive. This was backed up using Aomei System Backup. The restore process over-wrote the apparently corrupted installation, but the restored system continuously reboots.

Using the same Msata drive, the new Win7 freshly installed using the mfg reinstallation DVD seems to be working perfectly - just had some trouble finding/installing OEM drivers.

I'd appreciate advice on why the restored system just kept rebooting and if this is something that could be overcome in another restore. Thanks.

Comments

• Hello John,

We are so sorry for the problem you encountered. Maybe the restore is not successful, currently since you want buy a new hard drive, you can try restore the system backup to this disk in Windows or with AOMEI Winpe to have a test. Please note that you should buy a disk with same sector size (In the past, disks are formatted as 512bytes per sectors, currently most large capacity disks are updated to 4K per sectors) as your old system disk. You could click Start--in the search box, type in Msinfo32.exe, next, select component--storage--disk, then in the right section you could find the value of sector/bytes.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team