Home AOMEI Products Support

A little help please with Aomei Backup Software

Hi.  I’m new to Aomei Backup Software and a novice.    I’ve heard so much about it, I thought I’d give it a try.    Maybe someone could help me?    

When I click to make a system backup which I understand backups your entire system: "files, folders, pictures, programs" etc. I see three listings: (*: SYSTEM, C:\Windows, *: Windows RE t).     Should all three be included in the system backup, or should I just select C:\Windows?

Also, on making a bootable recovery CD, when I chose the option: Windows PE – Create bootable disc based on Windows PE, and click next,I see two options: Create the bootable disc based on UEFI boot mode(Recommended), & Create the bootable disc based on legacy boot mode.    I see that “Create the bootable disc based on UEFI boot mode” (Recommended), is checked.   My PC is an Asus with windows 8.1, and the BIOS is configured for Windows UEFI.   Which one of the above should I chose?    A few people had told me that if your system won’t boot and you have to use a bootable disc, you have to go into the BIOS and change certain settings: “Disable fast boot, Disable secure boot, change the system to run from Win UEFI to Legacy Mode, and changeyour boot order to (1) CD/DVD (2) Hard Drive.

If anyone could help me out, I’d truly appreciate.    Thanks for your time.

John

Comments

• My friend has a lot of tutorial scattered throughout the site

• Hi John,

To make a System Backup, the program will back up the partitions which are necessary for the operating system automatically. You don't need to select them.

As for the bootable issue, as you mentioned that you run UEFI boot operating system, so you will get 2 options to make the bootable media. You can make the bootable media based on UEFI boot directly. Then you can boot from the media without changing the boot mode. If you make the media based on legacy, when you boot from it, you need to enter BIOS to change the boot mode to legacy boot first. 

• Thank you so much for you quick and kind response.    Like I had mentioned above, my Asus is Windows 8.1 with the new UEFI BIOS, which uses a GPT sector to sector formula, unlike the older legacy BIOS that used an MBR.   The new UEFI also contains “Secure Boot” that basically locks the BIOS and only allows for certain changes to be performed.    From installing your O.S. after a disaster,to installing a new video card, sound card etc., it can be one big headache.   So I’ll make my disc with: “Create the bootable disc based on UEFI boot mode, which my system is configured for.

Thanks again for the help.

John