Home AOMEI Products Support

Incremental and Differential Backup Contents

When I exlore the contents of incremental or differential files, why do I
see all files and folders, not just the most recent changes?

Comments

• Because Incremental and Differential's can only be done and be useful if a Full Backup is present.  Therefore when you open both it'll include all changes up to that particular Incremental/Differential being explored.

To me this is how I'd expect it to act.  Not sure if other softwares do it differently.

• This seems odd to me.  When I explored my original Full Backup and a later Differential, I found the same file in both, even though there had been no change in-between.  (In fact, I hadn't touched that file in years, even before the Full Backup was made.)  Does this mean the same file was present in both the Full and Differential files themselves, or merely that when I explore the Differential it also loads the files from the Full?

• I should add, for clarity's sake, that this happened even when I only explored the Differential, without exploring the Full.
  • Similarly, my differential was dated 8/16, but many of the files were dated 8/11, and I know there were changes made after that.  Any reason it would miss some files (settings and data files, not documents)