Home AOMEI Products Support

How to restore a system image correctly when starting from bootable media

When doing a system restore from inside Windows using the AOMEI Backupper GUI that's very easy since it will show both the image and the destination disk in the same way containing two partitions each...one 500 MB partition called 'System Reserved' and then your normal system/Windows partition.

However if I would like to perform a system restore by using the bootable media I first select the system image I want to restore but in the next step I can only choose one partition. I find this confusing since I know the image contains two partitions (as mentioned above). Haven't tried to actually do a system restore using the bootable media but would like to know exactly how this is done correctly should I need it one day.

I guess I just select the normal system/Windows partition and then both partitions in the image will be restored to that partition but that will then leave me with one orphaned 'System Reserved' partition on the destination disk or am I missing something?

Would be great with some clarification.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• WebMaximus,

Yes, when you restore the system image, you can only select one partition as the destination location. And the program will restore both the system reserved partition and C: drive to that location. After restoring successfully, you can delete the original system reserved partition manually. It will not affect the system boot. 

• Great, many thanks for the prompt reply! 

• My Win 8.1 system uses 2 partitions, and Win 10 system uses 3 partitions.

When I move from one to the other,  I always first delete the old partitions with AOMEI Partition Assistant, and then you can restore a backup with Backupper to the free area.

Some time before I made the mistake to try to restore a backup into one of the old partitions, of course restore would fail because it wouldn't fit... :)