Home AOMEI Products Support

Will not boot into PreOS mode to finish operations

Hello, I am attempting to use your product to migrate the OS to an SSD and I am having a problem. I set up the function just as your tutorial shows and when I press Apply, it states that I need to boot into a PreOS mode to finish the operations. I choose proceed and the computer reboots, but never enters PreOS mode or performs the operations that it says it will.

As an alternative, I created a WinPE to boot from my USB and perform the procedure, but it will not let me do this either.

I have a Lenovo laptop Y410P with windows 8.1. Any help you can give would be much appreciated. I feel like my money on this program has been wasted since it does not perform as advertised.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• I just tried a different step but still have errors. Please advise. Here is what I did:

I booted computer via USB stick in WinPE. I attempted to copy the hard drive to my new SSD. When I clicked Apply, it stated that it needed to reboot into PreOS mode, so I clicked proceed. Then it gave me this error:

The file <system>\ampa.exe or <system>\system32\ampa.sys is missing, we suggest you reinstall the software or contact [email protected] for help.

When I closed the program, it stated that there were pending actions and would I like to apply those actions now. I did this and it proceeded to copy the hard drive as I first attempted to do. Upon booting up the new SSD, however, there was no bootable media found and the hard drive would not boot.

When I put the SSD back into a USB adapter so I could look at it, all the partitions looked like they were identical to the original HDD, but the Flags and the Status for each of the partitions were not the same. I assume that the program is not setting the flags correctly for the partitions so that the computer recognises there is a bootable disk in the system. 

I also tried a different method again booting from a USB stick with WinPE environment. Now I tried the option to migrate OS to SSD Or HDD. When I attempt to perform this operation, I get the error:

Some files (Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi, Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgr.efi or Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootmgr) were not found in your system, so the operation will not be able to continue.

This is a photo of my drive partition information so that you can see what I have existing on my system drive. Please let me know how this can be solved. I have paid for the program expecting it to work with windows 8 as it stated on the site, but if this will not work, I would like a refund.

imagedrive partitions.jpg

• Hello Chadster,

We are so sorry for the problem this time you encountered. Could you please retry creating AOMEI Partition Assistant WinPE bootable media on another computere and then use the bootable media to manage this Lenovo laptop Y410P with Windows 8.1?

I am going to send you a private message with a license of AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition, then you can use this licence on another computer. If you do not have a spare PC, we can create the iso file for you, please let us know. 

In addition, you don't need to worry, if the program cannot work, we will refund you at the full price.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• Hello and thank you for your prompt response. I have two additional computers at the house that I will try this method once I return from work in several hours. One is a Windows XP machine and the other is a Windows 7 machine. I will do my best to chronicle what steps I take and what does or does not work this time around.

• Hello, Here is an update with my first attempt of running from the WinPE created on my Win7 computer at home.

At first, I tried migrate OS to SSD\HDD, and it gave the error:

Some files (Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi, Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgr.efi or Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootmgr) were not found in your system, so the operation will not continue.

Since this operation failed, I then tried the Copy Disk function. I went through the prompts, and it stated that a reboot was required into PreOS mode. I choose to proceed, but the computer never restarted. I then manually powered down the computer to see if it would restart in PreOS mode and continue the functions, but it did not.

Since that option failed, I am now trying another Disk Copy by attempting to close the program out when finished. It states that I have pending actions and would I like to perform them now. I choose yes, and the system is now copying the disk as it should. This seems to be the same as it was previously, but the operation has not finished yet. I will post back when I am able with further results.

• Hi Chadster,

About this error "Some files (Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi, Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgr.efi
    or Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootmgr) were not found in your system, so the
    operation will not continue." Is it possible to take a screenshot and post it here.

In addition, if you boot from the AOMEI Partition Assistant WinPE bootable Media to clone the disk, it should not require a reboot. Could you please specify out how you perform the operation?

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• Hello, I will try to answer your questions as best as I can. This is taken from my WinPE installation made with an alternate Win7 computer that I have.

First off, here is a screenshot of the error that you requested - this occurs when I attempt to Migrate the OS to SSD or HDD. Please excuse the quality as I have taken this with a cell phone camera.

imageerror msg.jpg

I assure you that I am getting the reboot required message when performing the Disk Copy function. Here is what I do:

1. On my computer I must choose how I want to boot - if it is from Hard drive or USB, so I choose USB. 

2. Computer boots into WinPE mode and goes directly into AOMEI software.

3. Registration window pops up so I enter my registration information.

4. This time, I have partitions existing on my hard drive from previous attempts of copying, so I delete all partitions on the hard drive. I Apply these changes. NOTE: this does not require the restart.

5. After the partitions are removed and the disk has no partitions, I choose Disk Copy Wizard from the menu.

6. I choose the Copy Disk Quickly option. - If I choose the Sector-by-sector option, it will not work because my destination disk is smaller than the source disk.

7. I choose the source disk that I want to copy (my original hard drive #1).

8. I choose the destination disk that I want to copy to (this time hard disk #2).

9. I also select the optimize for SSD option at the bottom of the window because I am using a SSD for the destination disk.

10. I have tried holding the Shift button down and pressing Apply and also not holding shift down. Either way seems to not make a difference.

11. It gives me the window that some items may require a restart and I click proceed.

12. It pops up a window saying that the computer needs to be restarted, but when I click yes to this, the computer does not actually restart. 

13. If I close this window and then exit the program using the top right close button on the window, the program prompts me that I have existing procedures to perform and would I like to do those now. I choose yes and it continues to copy the hard disk as I originally attempted to do.

14. Unfortunately,. when I attempt to switch the hard disk to the newly copied disk, the system says that I do not have a valid boot disk in the computer.

15. I switch out the hard disks back to the original setup and look at the partition information - here is what I see. The partition information for the copied destination disk does not match the original disk. 

A. The partitions are correct in size - information seems to be copied as it should.

B. The Flags are not set properly. Each partition flag just says GPT, not the GPT, WRE, GPT, MSR of the original disk. 

C. The status on the copied destination disk does not show Boot on any of the partitions as the master source disk shows.

16. I cannot set these flags or ststus manually via any menu option on my Partition manager software. Set partiton to active on the advanced menu is greyed out and is not allowed as a selection.

Here are a few photos to try and explain better my problems.

Reboot required error message:

imagereboot error.jpg

Partition table of destination disk showing flag and Status difference from original:

imagepartition info.jpg

Note the difference between this and the original photo I uploaded in an earlier post of my original source drive.

Having tried this several times in different ways, I will now try to use my WinXP computer to create a WinPE start USB drive and see if I get any different results.

Please advise on any way I might change the flags or set my status to boot on any of these partitons - am I correct in thinking that this might solve the problem of my system not finding a valid noot disk? Do I need to copy files from one to the other? Is there another program that I need to perform these operations? Is it something I can perform from a command prompt?

• I have now attempted the same procedures using a WinPE USB created from a different WinXP computer with similar results. Unfortunately, it seems that the partitions on the copied (destination) disk are not set to active or flaged as a bootable partition by the software. I am unsure how to procede from here - is there a way that I can change the flags or set the partitions to bootable?

I am currently researching the Lenovo forums to see if there is something there that may be relavent to this issue.

Any help that you could give would be appreciated.

• edited January 2014

Hi Chadster,

Thank you so much for your patience and support. As for your problem, we have to say sorry that Partition Assistant cannot help to resolve your issue this time. The error message"Some files (Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi, Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgr.efi or Windows\Boot\PCAT\bootmgr)" refer to that your OS doesn't include this file. It may be because of your particular cicumstance. As we noted that there are serveral partitions are marked as boot in the screenshot, which is not normal.

We will refund your order at the full price, please send us your order ID or email address which you used to purchase this program, so that we can proceed the refund. 

On the other hand you may try our backup software AOMEI Backupper, then do a system backup and then restore the backup to destination to have try. 

Once again, we are sincerely sorry for any of the inconvenience.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• edited January 2014

Hello, thank you for attempting to help me. I finally was able to transfer my hard drive over but it was a little bit of a convoluted process. I copied my hard drive using another product (competetor that I won't mention). This allowed the flags for each partition to be set more accurately - something that the partition manager product wouldn't do. Then I created a Win backup disk. I booted using the Win backup disk and restored the Win installation from one of my other partitions on my copied hard drive. It took a little time and work to figure out, but finally got it done. I will write you regarding my refund.

• Hello Chadster,

Thank you so much for your kindly support. As for the problem you encountered, I've already record it, I do hope our development department will solve this issue in the later version.  

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• i cant boot into preos mode on windows 7 ultimate, no matter what i do.... it was booting into preos mode on win8.1 on the same computer!? HELP PLEASE!

• Hi dkater,

Because every operating system is a special enviroment, so I am not able to know why you are not able to boot into preos on windows 7. 

But to solve this problem, you can create a bootable medium of the software, then boot from the medium to perform the operations.

• I have a Windows 8.1 Lenovo machine..
    I have the same problem that the orginal guys has....

I am trying to merge 2 drives.

My AOMEI program always wants to reboot into PreOS mode..  My machine reboots but never enters whatever this PreOS mode is.  NEVER...     This thread has offered very little solutions on how to reboot into this PreOS mode.  This program does not really work.

• You do not success any operations for that your computer cannot properly run into Pro-OS mode.

Because your  computer has specific circumstance. 

To solve this issue, you can create AOMEI Partition Assistant bootable CD 

(this program support directly create WinPE bootable disc without installing WinAIK/ADK) 

and then boot from the CD to do the action.

This method is safe and stable because you can do any operation without restarting OS.

Hope this is useful for you.