Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper reliability question.

Hi,

I am new to AOMEI  image and have a technical question:

I
have been using for quite sometime Macrium Reflect with good results,
but with the latest backups of my laptop´s internal disk, I have been
getting the following error:  Backup aborted! - Unable to read from disk - error code 1117- The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error!    So as advised, I proceeded to run chkdsk C: r/ and after it finished it found the following NOT corrected errors:

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data

...Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x89b6e0000 for 0x10000 bytes.

A disk read error occurredc0000185 The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file 137493 of name \Windows\Inf\oem54.inf.

...Read failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0x7019fe000 for 0x8000 bytes.

A disk read error occurredc0000185 The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file 163914 of name \Windows\MICROS~1.NET\FRAMEW~1\V20~1.507\Aspnet_perf.dll.

Of course there is plenty of free space on my disk, so after
reading a little more about this error and making some tests with
Seatools, I came to the conclusion that I´d  better get a new disk to
replace this one, but before doing that, a friend of mine told me about AOMEI Backupper
and yesterday I downloaded, installed it and performed a FULL Disk
Backup, but I must confess that I thought I was going to receive a error
from AOMEI similar to the Macrium´s one, BUT to my surprise, it
finished and also as requested, checked the image SUCCESFULLY!!!

So I have the doubt about IF this is a RELIABLE backup that I could use in order to restore it to the new hard drive???

The
fact that if finished the backup without the appearance of any error
warning,  unlike Macrium, makes me a little nervous about the fact that
it will or NOT restore successfully.

Sorry for this very long mail, but I am very curious about AOMEI´s reliability.

Diazruanova

Comments

• I find it works ok, have restored using the pe disk from an external USB 3 drive (the usb 3 drivers .inf files were added to the restore CD ).

If you are satisfied that your HDD is erroring, get a new internal drive (same size or larger), disconnect the current drive and connect the new one.

Boot with the pe disk and restore from the drive containing the image.

Note that disk letters may be different - look for the image on any of the drives listed during the restore.

If it doesn't work you can just drop in the original drive and be back as you were.

• There is also a clone function in Backupper that you should consider.

• Thanks sidrick and Homer for your replies.

Yes, once I get the new drive, I´ll proceed as you both suggest, first trying to perform a Clone and if that  does not work, then I´ll try to restore the Image backup I mentioned earlier, but I still have the doubt as to why AOMEI unlike Macrium, is not sending me a warning with respect to an obvious and already proven HD failure (it even appears on SMART):

is it skipping on purpose the bad blocks?

is it simply not detecting them and copying the corrupt affected files as they are?

...maybe someone from AOMEI?