Home AOMEI Products Support

Problem explorer image permissions

edited February 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

Hi,  I have tested out a backup however when I mount the filesystem to explore it I am getting a "permission denied" message on the users folders.  I have previously used Macrium Reflect to do this and they have an option in reflect to "Allow access to restricted folders" and "Make Writable (note: changes are temporary and will be discarded".

This means that with Macrium you can change the ACL to gain access to an individual file.

With Backupper it seems that you must restore the whole partition image in order to access one single file.  This is a real problem both in terms of the time taken to do the restore and of course the need to have a spare disk unless you wish to overwrite the other 99.99% of files you don't want to mess with.

Am I doing something wrong or is it time to give up and go back to Macrium Reflect Free.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Pauljs,

You can restore the entire folder that contains a file then change the ACL for that folder.  This is a known issue that hasn't been changed yet.

• Hi,  Thanks for the tip darylsonnier.  SO I can just restore a single directory e.g. c:\users\<user> with a 1 click system backup?

If so then that's not too bad until they implement the "Allow access to restricted folders" and "Make Writable" type of feature.  I assume this is on the roadmap but if can Aomei consider adding it?

• Hi, 

Seems that does not want to work.  If it is a 1 click system image the only option is to recover the whole partition. This is despite it detecting it is a system backup and my saying "no" to the question "do you want to do a complete system restore as this is a system image"

The only option is to not use the system image option.  The one click system image option is the one I want to use though.

thanks

Paul

• Pauljs,

I will have to experiment with it.  I was under the impression that you could mount the image even if it is a system image to get at individual files/folders.

• Thanks Daryl.  I would be keen to know as apart from this little issue backupper is great!