The new iPhone 12 introduces a beautiful new design packed with innovative features, it’s no wonder that you want to set it up quickly and have fun with your new device.
If it’s your first iPhone, don’t worry, this guide shows you how to activate and set up new iPhone 12 and the way to transfer data from previous Android phone to it. If you just get a new iPhone 12 to replace the old one, you can also follow this guide to move data during the setup process.
Part 1. Preparations and Attentions Before the Setup
Before setting up a new iPhone, there are some notes you can take a look at. These preparations can help you complete the activation more smoothly.
◆ If you want to transfer old iPhone data to
new iPhone, you can first backup your old iPhone with iCloud or iTunes. Then you can choose to restore from the backup when activating the new iPhone. (If it’s inconvenient for
you to make a backup, you can also use Quick Start utility to transfer data to new iPhone directly but it requires your old device running iOS 11 and later.)
◆ If you want to
transfer data from the Android phone to new iPhone, you can download Move to iOS app on
Android phone from Google Play.
◆ If you have already set up your new iPhone but want
to start over, you can go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to erase the
Part 2. Steps to Activate and Set Up New iPhone 12
Here are all the steps to activate and set up new iPhone including iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max. The whole process seems kind of complicated at a glance but it’s not that difficult if you follow the guide step by step.
1. Unbox your new iPhone and insert the SIM card. (If you get your new iPhone directly from a carrier, it will usually come with the SIM card already inserted.)
2. Turn on your device: press and hold the device’ power button until you see the Apple logo.
3. You will see "Hello" in many languages. Follow the steps to get started.
4. Choose your language, and choose your location (country or region). It affects how the information looks on your iPhone, including date, time, contacts, and more.
5. If your old iPhone is running iOS 11 or later, you can here utilize the Quick
Start utility to automatically set up your new device. For detailed steps, you can refer to Part 3 to get it. If you do not have another device with iOS 11 or later, please tap Set Up Manually to continue.
6. Tap the Wi-Fi network that you want to use or select a different option. Or if the W-Fi is
not available, you can choose tap Use Cellular Connection.
7. Set up your Face ID and Touch ID. With these features, you can use your face recognition or fingerprint to unlock your device and make purchases. Tap Continue and follow the instructions to make
it or tap Set Up Later in Settings.
8. Set a six-digit passcode to help protect your data. You will need this passcode to use
features like Face ID, Touch ID or Apple Pay. If you prefer four-digit passcode, custom passcode, or
no passcode, tap Passcode Options.
9. Then you will come to the App & Data screen. You can choose to
restore from iCloud or iTunes backup, transfer directly from iPhone or choose Move
Data from Android (Part 3 offers detailed steps). You can also choose Don't Transfer Apps & Data to continue.
10. Enter your Apple ID and password, or tap Forgot password or don't have an
Apple ID? to create a new one. Or you can just skip it and make it latter in the
11. Decide whether to share information with app developers and allow iOS to update
12. Set up Siri and other services or tap Set Up Later in Settings.
13. Set up Screen Time and more display options or tap Set Up Later in
Settings. Screen Time lets you set time limits for daily app use.
14. Tap Get Started to begin using your new iPhone!
Part 3. Transfer Data from Previous Android Phone/iPhone to iPhone
Here are the steps about how to transfer data from Anroid phone to new iPhone & iPhone to new iPhone.
◆ Transfer Data from Android to New iPhone 12
Download Move to iOS
app from Google Play on Android phone; Connect both devices to Wi-Fi network; Make sure the
phones have enough power.
1. Set up your iPhone until you see the App & Data screen > Choose Move Data from Android.
2. On your Android phone: Open Move to iOS app > Tap Continue > Read the terms and conditions that appear and tap Agree > Tap Next in the top-right corner of the Find Your Code screen.
3. On your new iPhone: Tap Continue > Wait for a ten-digit or six-digit code to appear.
4. On your Android phone: Enter the code > Wait for the Transfer Data screen to appear > Choose the content you want to transfer and tap Next.
Note: Please leave both devices alone until the loading bar that appears on your iOS device finishes even you see the transfer complete notice on your Android phone.
5. It may take a while to finish the transfer depending on how much content you're
moving. After the loading bar finishes on your iOS device, tap Done on
Android phone > Tap Continue on new iPhone and follow the onscreen steps to complete the setup process.
◆ Transfer Data from iPhone to New iPhone 12
There are two methods you can try to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone. If you want to transfer all iPhone content & settings wirelessly, you can make use of Quick Start. If you want to transfer selected data, you can try one professional transfer tool - AOMEI MBackupper.
→ Steps to Transfer Data to New iPhone via Quick Start
Be aware that the Quick Start will occupy both the current iPhone and the iPhone which means that they are otherwise unusable.
1. Place your new iPhone near the current iPhone. The Quick Start screen will appear on your
current iPhone and offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new iPhone.
2. Make sure that it's the Apple ID that you want to use, then tap Continue. If you don't see the option to continue on your current
device, make sure that Bluetooth is turned on.
3. An animation will appear on your new iPhone > Hold your old iPhone over the new iPhone,
then center the animation in the viewfinder > Wait for a message that says Finish
on New iPhone.
Note: If you can't use your current iPhone camera, tap Authenticate Manually. You will receive an authentication code on your new iPhone, enter that code to the current iPhone.
4. Enter your current iPhone passcode on new iPhone.
5. Follow the instructions to set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new iPhone. When asked, enter your
Apple ID password on your new iPhone.
6. Your new device offers the choice of restoring apps, data, and settings from your most
recent iCloud backup or updating your current device's backup and then restoring. You
can also choose whether to transfer some settings related to location, privacy, Apple Pay,
If your old iPhone is running on iOS 12.4 or later, you can choose Transfer from
iPhone to begin transferring your data from your previous iPhone to your new iPhone without backup.
→ Steps to Transfer Selected Data to New iPhone
Free iPhone transfer tool AOMEI MBackupper can help you transfer contacts, messages, photos, songs, and videos selectively. It will not erase any existing data on the new iPhone, you can try this tool to transfer data after the set up and anytime you want.
● To transfer data to new iPhone, firsty backup old iPhone to computer > transfer selected items to new iPhone.
Backup Old iPhone:
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper > Connect your current iPhone to computer via USB cable > Enter passcode on iPhone to get the software access to your device.
2. Click Custom Backup and select the data that you want to transfer to iPhone.
Note: You can click the icon to preview and choose the items. Here we click Contacts for example: select the contacts you need and click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the storage path > Click Start Backup to start backing up your
Transfer Data to iPhone:
1. Unplug your current iPhone and then connect your new iPhone to computer > Go to the
Backup Management screen by clicking the back button.
2. Choose the backup files and click the Restore option.
3. You can click each icon to choose the items you want to transfer to iPhone> If everything is OK, click Start Restore to make it.
Above are how to set up new iPhone (iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max included). If you have any problem, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comment section and we will reply to you as soon as possible.