How to Set Up New iPhone from Old iPhone?
How to set up new iPhone from old iPhone? This guide will show you how to make it step by step.
After getting the new iPhone, the first thing is to set it up. Since you are upgrading from a previous iPhone to the new one, you may wonder whether it is possible to set up new iPhone from old iPhone to make things simple. Fortunately, if your old iPhone is running on iOS 11 and later you can easily make it. Keep reading to see how to set up new iPhone SE 2020, iPhone 12, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, iPhone XS from old iPhone.
Since iOS 11, Apple has made it possible to set up new iPhone from old iPhone. The Quick Start feature helps users quickly set up new iPhone using information from the old iPhone. And then you can choose to restore from iCloud backup to transfer data to your new iPhone. Besides, if your old iPhone and new iPhone are both running on iOS 12.4 or later, you can even choose to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone without backup.
If you have already set up your new iPhone, please go to Settings >General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to restart.
1. Turn on your new iPhone > Choose your language and your location.
2. Place your new iPhone near the old iPhone. The Quick Start screen will appear on your old iPhone and offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new iPhone.
3. Make sure the Apple ID is current and tap Continue. (If you do not see the option, go to turn on the Bluetooth.)
4. Wait for an animation to appear on your new iPhone > Hold your old iPhone over the new iPhone, then center the animation in the viewfinder > Wait for a message that saysFinish on New iPhone.
5. Enter your old iPhone’s passcode on new iPhone when asked.
6. Set up Face ID or Touch ID on your new iPhone.
7. Enter your Apple ID passcode on new iPhone.
8. Your new iPhone will offer the choice of restoring from the most recent iCloud backup or updating your current iPhone’s backup and then restoring. (Make sure the Wi-Fi is enabled if you want to update the backup.)
9. Choose to transfer some settings related to location, privacy, Apple Pay, and Siri according to your needs.
10. If you have an Apple Watch, it will also ask if you’d like to transfer your Apple Watch data and settings.
For devices running on iOS 12.4 and later, you can choose to directly transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone directly. Set up your iPhone as the steps shown above until Step 8 and you will see the Transfer from iPhone option.
>> Just tap Transfer from iPhone to begin the data transfer. If you are using the wired method, you will see a transfer icon that indicates your devices are connected.
>> The transfer time it takes depending on the amount of data you want to transfer and the network condition. Please keep your iPhones near each other and plugged into power until the transfer process is done.
From the above, you know how to set up new iPhone with old iPhone. As you can see, after setting up new iPhone, you can also choose to restore from iCloud backup or directly transfer old iPhone data to new iPhone. However, both these two transfer methods have shortcomings.
> If your devices are running on iOS
before iOS 12.4, you can only choose to restore from the previous backup but you may have no
right backup. Besides, the 5 GB free storage space is far from enough to store the whole
backup. Many users have met the iPhone
Backup Failed for Not Enough Space in iCloud issue.
> If your devices are running on iOS 12.4 and later, although you can choose the Transfer from iPhone option to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone without backup, it only lets you transfer all data no matter you want it or not.
So here in this part, I’d like to introduce another tool that can help you transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone in an easier way. That’s AOMEI MBackupper. It can help you transfer contacts, messages, photos, videos, songs in 1-click, or only the selected items as per your needs.
Two steps to complete the transfer:
① Backup data on old iPhone
② Restore the backup files to new iPhone
You can select the data you want to backup and restore. Most of all, there is no need to reset your new iPhone and it will not erase any existing data.
AOMEI MBackupper supports all iPhone models including the newest iPhone 11/iPhone SE 2020/12 and works well with the latest iOS 14. Next, I’ll show you how to transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone with AOMEI MBackupper.
Backup Data on Old iPhone
1. Run AOMEI MBackupper and plug in your old iPhone > Tap “Trust” on the home screen to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Custom Backup and select the data you want to backup.
◆ You can click each icon to select the items you want to transfer and clickOK to confirm.
3. Choose the storage path > Click Start Backup.
Transfer Data to New iPhone
1. Unplug your old iPhone and connect your new iPhone > Click Back to go to the Backup Management interface.
2. Click the Expand tab >> Advanced option to chooseRestore.
3. You can click the icon to preview and select the data that will be restored to your new iPhone > If everything is ok, click Start Restore.
That’s all for how to set up new iPhone 12, 11, XR, XS from old iPhone. You can choose to transfer all old iPhone data to new iPhone through the iCloud backup/Transfer from iPhone utility or let AOMEI MBackupper help you only transfer needed files.