Why do you want to clone an iPhone?
People often ask the same questions in the forum How to clone an iPhone or
“how to clone an iPhone to a new iPhone”. For example:
“My iPhone 5 is too old and the system runs
slow. With the 32GB storage I can save only a few pictures, videos and I can’t install
enough apps, too, so I want to change my iPhone 7 into iPhone XR with 256GB. I want to know,
how to clone an iPhone to a new iPhone easily? Because I want to keep my old contacts,
messages, pictures and so on.”
Usually, you will need to clone an iPhone mainly for the following main reasons:
◆ You just buy a new iPhone, like the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max or iPhone XR. And you would
like to keep all the old data on the new one.
◆ After you input the wrong password many times, your iPhones is disabled. Before you erase
your iPhone, you must clone the locked iPhone.
◆ Your iPhone may be get stolen unexpectedly, and to protect your precious personal
information, it would be a wise move to back it up ahead of time.
How to clone an iPhone in efficient ways?
Normally, iPhone can finish the clone job itself. The internal tools - iCloud and iTunes can
do the clone job perfectly. Unfortunately you will fail to clone iPhone when you tried to
work with iCloud or iTunes. So, you can turn to another way to do the clone, such as a
third-party software like mBackupper.
Now, let’s show you how to clone an iPhone step by step:
How to clone an iPhone with iCloud?
We all know that iCloud is one of the internal tools of iPhone. We can use iCloud to clone
the iPhone, but there is just it has a 5 GB storage, and this method requires a lot of time
to download the package. And before you can clone the content from the old iPhone to the new
device, the iCloud backup must have been enabled.
Note: You can’t use iCloud
to clone all the content, iCloud can only clone some important data, such as contacts, SMS,
pictures and so on.
1. After you turn on the new device, you can follow the screenshots to get to the App &
2. Then choose the “Restore from iCloud Backup”, tap your Apple ID and Password to sign into
your iCloud account.
3. At last, choose the backup to restore your iPhone.
With only three steps you can restore your data from old iPhone to the new one.
How to clone an iPhone with iTunes?
With the help of iTunes, you can also clone your iOS device. To clone your iPhone with iTune,
you must connect the iPhone with your computer, and backup the iPhone data on the computer.
Compared with iCloud, you need a shorter time to do the clone. And you can clone all the
data, including some settings.
Firstly, you must backup your old device to iTunes library. Then launch the iTunes, connect
the old iPhone to your PC/MAC via a USB cable.
Secondly, click “Device icon > Summary > Back Up Now”.
After the backup, you can restore it now.
Step 1. Connect your new device to the PC.
Step 2. Click on the device in iTunes, and click “Summary > Restore Backup”.
Step 3. Then choose the correct backup and click “Restore”.
How to clone an iPhone with mBackupper?
mBackupper, a free iPhone transfer
and backup expert for Windows PCs, is an easy-to-use software, the installation package is
small, and the clone speed is very fast.
1) Download and install mBackupper firstly, connect your old iPhone with USB cable.
2) Tap “Trust This Computer“ on your iPhone, click “Custom Backup”.
3) Choose the destination to save the data. Click all the icons to clone all your contacts,
photos, videos, music, messages and click “Start Backup”.
4) After a few minutes, you have backed up all the data from the old device on your Windows
To restore the backup files on the new iPhone.
1. Please connect your new iPhone on your PC; tap Trust This Computer;
2. Click “Back” in the lower right corner to enter Backup Management;
3. Choose the backup files and click the Arrow to Restore to device. You can also just
preview your backup files with one click on the Eye;
4. Click the orange button Start Restore. You can also click the icon to select the photos
you want to restore as you back up them;
5. Then you have finished the restoration.
To resolve the problem “how to clone an iPhone”, you can use the above-mentioned three
methods. Each method has the advantages and disadvantages. iCloud requires only a WIFI to
build the connection, but it takes more time to clone the files and restore. iTunes need a
shorter time, but the operation is too complex. If you only want to clone the important
files such as photos, videos, music, contacts, messages, I think mBackupper is more
convenient, do you think so?