Home AOMEI Products Support

Can I clone more than one image onto a HDD?

Guys and Gals, 

I am a recent convert from Mac to Win10Pro and on the whole i have been very happy. 

I have another product from a competitor and I am having problems so I thought I would ask here if backupper can do what I would like. 

I have a terabyte drive and have it partitioned to the size of my main os.....(a SSD). 

I would like to have at least 2 bootable clones with my OS (the tera) and available for me to boot from and/or transfer back onto the SSD. 

So I was not able to do this with another software...and I am wondering if the backupper can do this? 

Thanks. 

Daniel 

Austin Texas. 

Comments

• You mean you want to have two different operating systems(macOS and Windows) on a single drive?

• edited July 2017

I read it as 2x Win10Pro on the 1TB drive. In a dual boot menu.Yes it can. Transfer back to SSD I don't know, because then the source is a dual boot and the destination is a single boot. I think it can, why not, but I can't remember if I ever tested this. You will need the backup+restore method of 1 partition then or maybe a system clone through the Pro version.

Approach, IMHO:

Clean the 1TB wih diskpart 

Initialize the drive and make at least 2 partitions

Make a system clone to partition 1 (or make a system backup and restore)

Test if it boots.

Make a partition clone to partition 2 (or make a partition backup+restore OR restore only the C: partititon of the system backup)

Start the 1TB drive from partition 1

Install EasyBCD and add partition 2 to the bootmenu

Restart and chose the partition you want to start 1 or 2

Of course you can always make as much backups as you like (we call them images) but these are ADI files and not bootable as they are just data files but they can be restored.

• edited July 2017

I just tested a system backup and system restore of 1 OS from a multiboot system to an empty HDD. And it worked. But when you boot the copied OS the other OS-es in the multiboot are (of course) still displayed in the boot menu and you have to remove them with EasyBCD so only the target OS remains.

I also discovered a restore option that can be very handy if the original HDD is still present (and will become the default restore location) but you want to restore the system to another disk: tick "Restore system to other location" in the bottom of the screen.

• Sorry guys...yes I have

1. SSD my main drive

1. Tera internal drive

I want to partition my tera into 2 -256gb partitions and then clone my main SSD over to both partitions....or even have one as my current backup and another as a fresh install of Win10.

I realize I would have to get the pro version to go back and forth from the HDD spinner to the SSD....but backupper should let me clone 2 different images. (I don't know if the word Image is the correct term)

Cheers.

• Good luck guys - I've made dual (and triple) boot systems in the past, and it was horrendous trying to fix (sometimes impossible)  a crashed system if it ever happened. With hardware prices plummetting, it's really hard justifying the time and effort (and risks!) involved in these attempts.  Unless you want to be a wiz at figuring out the details of boot loaders etc.

• So here I am agin.

I gave up b/c I don't think it's possible. and I am here now.

I want to clone a copy of my SSD with my OS...but to a partition on another drive.

I partitioned 256 out of my other tera and when I click to clone it selects the complete tera drive and not the 256 partition only.....then warns me "the operation will erase any data currently on the partition".

Wow is this not possible with the free version?

• So you want to clone Win10 OS 2 times to 2 partitions on tera and both of them should be bootable? This is not possible.