Home AOMEI Products Support

FRESH INSTALL BACKUP AND RESTORE

edited September 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

Windows 10, dual boot setup, 2 ssd drives

Sorry if this is a long post, I actually have several related issues.

I have been using Backerupper for some time now.  Creating a system backup is straght forward, no problem.

However, I dont know if I am following the proper steps when resotring,because I must make certain adaptations to get the job done.

When a system backup is created, it produces a recovery partition, a bootpartition, and the operating system partition.

My problem is that when I want to restore, I am not given the option to highlight the 3 current partition that must be replaced.  If I just choose the largest partition (operating system), and continue to restore, I ene up with a mess of extra partitions, and the system will not boot up.

If I want it to work, I must first delete the destination partitions first,and then the restore process goes smoothly.

Also, after the process is complete, the original drive letter for the operating system partition has been assigned to the recovery partition, and then obviously the system partition drive letter is different than it was, and all must be changed, which I dont think is the best practiceand I would like to avoid.

Something new just occurred recently.  I attempted to do a fresh install onone ssd from an installatioin disk. 

In this scenario, it is necessary to delete the 3 currently intstalledpartitions.  I did so and completed the installation.

When I booted up, it took me to the freshly installed partition. However, I was unable to boot up to operating system on my other ssd (via the F11 boot menu).

I went into disk management on the fresh install.  For the fresh install, there was only one partition; no boot partition, no recovery partition.

I had a multitude of problems after that.  I troubleshooted the whole day every way I could think of.  I restored the fresh partition with a previous backups, thinking everything would get back to normal, but things went haywire. 

At first I was able to do system restores.  Eventually, during the system restores, I was told the backups were corrupt, even though I knew they were not. 

Starting getting all sorts of boot errors. BSOD crashes on both ssds. Tried to go thru the system repair, no help.  Finally, the machine wouldnot boot, period. 

It even crashed in DOS when I tried to do a restore with the backerupperrecovery disk!

I pretty much gave up. but tried one more thing.  I pressed the power buttonfor about 15 second to reset the machine. 

Like a miracle, the unit started up, and everything was back to normal! It was bizarre.

So, I would still like to do a fresh install and backup, but I need to know what I did wrong, in all areas.  I dont want to go thru that again.

Thanks for listening this long story.

Comments

• "My problem is that when I want to restore, I am not given the option to highlight the 3 current partition that must be replaced.  If I just choose the largest partition (operating system), and continue to restore, I ene up with a mess of extra partitions, and the system will not boot up."

Sorry for that there is a small problem of our software. Before you do the restore, you need to delete the recovery and system partitions manually. You can create the WINPE bootable  USB with Partition Assistant to delete that partition.

"Also, after the process is complete, the original drive letter for the operating system partition has been assigned to the recovery partition, and then obviously the system partition drive letter is different than it was, and all must be changed, which I dont think is the best practiceand I would like to avoid."

After you you finish the restore, please try to boot it. And then if the drive letter is not right, maybe you need to change them manually.

"When I booted up, it took me to the freshly installed partition. However, I was unable to boot up to operating system on my other ssd (via the F11 boot menu)."

Aomei software cannot support double boot perfectly. That is to say, you just can boot into that disk when you run the Onekey Recovery software. But we are wondering you reinstall the system in that disk, right? If yes, you cannot boot into the Onekey by F11. Yu need to create the booable USB with the AOMEI Backupper and then boot into your computer to find the backup image to do the restore.

"At first I was able to do system restores.  Eventually, during the system restores, I was told the backups were corrupt, even though I knew they were not. "

It is all the full backup or incremental backup? Can you find the backup image now?

• "Aomei software cannot support double boot perfectly"

Under normal circanstances, the restore operation (where I must first delete the old partitions) is very simple and successfulI, and I have have no problem with dual boot after using the Backerupper restore option.

The main reason I am here is that I did a fresh install on one of my SSD's, replacing the operating system that was originally on it. 

The other SSD still had a system partition installed identical to the one on that was replaced with the fresh install.  I also had created a Aomei backup of these partitions before the fresh install, and I know the Aomei backup was in good partition, because:

1) I had used it in a previous restore operation

2) I had copies of the backup stored elsewhere, that were also used when trying to properly restore the system

The problem was that after I did the fresh install, I was able to boot up to the fresh install, but no longer able to access the operating system on the other SSD. 

When I booted, selected F11, was brought me to the Boot Menu and selected the other SSD, I got an error.

I had to restore the backup over the fresh install to once gain access to both drives. 

I tried to do the fresh install again, but the same problems occurred, and you have already heard the rest of the story.

Is it normal for the fresh install "not" to have the 3 partitions (system, restore and boot)? I think this is the root of the problem.

Also, Im confused what the Onekey Recovery software does differently that Backerupper.

• "Also, Im confused what the Onekey Recovery software does differently that Backerupper."

The most important difference is that OneRecovery can creat the bootable menu, that is to say, you can press F11 to do the restore. But for Backupper, you need to creat the bootable WINPE manually, and then boot into the WINPE to do the restore.

• "When I booted, selected F11, was brought me to the Boot Menu and selected the other SSD, I got an error."

You just can choose the disk which includes the AOMEI Recovery partition created by OneKey Recovery software.

"The problem was that after I did the fresh install, I was able to boot up to the fresh install, but no longer able to access the operating system on the other SSD.  "

What is the fresh install? For example, you have disk A and disk B. And yu create the AOMEI recovery partition in disk A. After you press the F11, you can go into the disk A.

You do the fresh install of disk A or B?

Which disk you cannot access the the operation system now?