Home AOMEI Products Support

CRITICAL ERROR Windows 10 Start menu issue after restore

edited February 2016 in AOMEI Products Support

After a clean windows 10 pro x64 install on a Latitude e7440 laptop, I installed Backupper v3.2 Technician ed. and proceeded a new system disk backup to a seperate drive. I wanted to have the oportunity to roll back my installation between different driver installs, to measure how the different driver versions affected my system performance and DPC-values.

My usual routine in windows 10 for updating the system, is to push the windows button and start typing "update", for which the system usually suggests "windows update" as one of the top hits, you press Enter and an app for that shows up. To my big suprise, after restoring to the previous point, my start-menu started reindexing - and I had to wait a bit, until the proper hits started showing up. I got even more perplexed, when after getting "windows update" as a search hit, i was unable to start the app by pushing Enter, or clicking on it!

You may say I was a little upset, after some good hours of debugging, that it was the Backupper restore that caused this behaviour. I initially didn't even assume it would be possible, since the whole harddrive should have returned to its previous pristine state after a complete restore! The problem gets even worse, as not only does this program brick my start menu; it does so even if you choose to restore a whole drive image, rather than a system image.
Sadly, this isn't the first time Backupper has issues with a proper functioning Windows Start menu. I previously reported freezing start-menu issue for windows 8.1 and waited for months without a reasonable explanation from the team until finally one day they issued an update solving the problem.

This issue is critical, as this means windows 10 support is broken until fixed.

Comments