Home AOMEI Products Support

UEFI boot disk creation failure

Twice now I've tried to create a WinPE UEFI boot disk on a Win8 machine. Each time it goes to 99% and ejects the disk. The first time I thought it was successful, but then I noticed the progress was only at 99%, and instead of Finish it only offered the Cancel command.

This is backup software, and there is little to no room for uncertainty. I will use an ISO I have to burn the disk. But the typical end user is not going to understand such workarounds.                    

Comments

• We feel very sorry for the problem you met.

You can create Win PE ISO first and then burn the ISO to your disk by other burning tools.

Sorry again for the inconvenience and our Tech Team will fix the problem next version.

• Hi, For what it is worth I have had the same problem as above. I am using pro edition 3.2 on 30day trial, with the view of paying for 4 pc's if happy. So far the rest of this software seems to work very well. On my 1st disc fail I thought it was a bitdefender problem, so I turned it off. I will now try a ISO image and see how it goes. Good to hear it will be fixed.

• edited December 2015

Creating ISO is anyway recommendable, one has to keep the ISO handy for repeated burn and for safe storage of bootable media.

There will be more to be done by knowledgeable user. For example EFI/GPT restore not work without flaw (system, partition, disk all flawed), but need easy rework after restoring (if one knows..)  and then very helpful. I prefer to identify learn to "catches" and learn the work around's. And yet watch out - each of the three, Backupper, PE Builder, Partition Assistant behaves differently success of bootable media.

That said I already used Backupper on real cases with good result (I would not say that of product E.....)

Peter

• I agree that having the .iso is preferable, and I have one myself The problem is that I deploy BU on laptops for the end users, and they will not know how to cope with the problem.

And the same thing is true, in spades, with regard to the other issue you raise - the continual need for repair after a BU restoration, especially when GPT is involved - and for BU's failure to replicate factory restore partitions reliably. I have introduced hundreds of people to BU because I believe it is an effective and fairly intuitive solution, but these are very real problems indeed, possibly enough to send me elsewhere. 

I also wanted to use the BU burn function to test the ODD on each unit, but that's another story.

• edited December 2015

Dear Admin, please hurry assign programmers, quickly, to fix all these issues in AOMEI Backuper and in AOMEI partition assistant, regarding GPT disks!! And regarding EFI bootable media.!! (and it is all easy to fix, the hard work is already done, it is just a few several hundred lines of code and few days of work. I am able to fix GPT restore and GPT boot issues with a few diskpart and bcdboot commands and Google+Wikipedia, and programmers working on this area should be more easily do programming and calling diskpart and bcdboot. And be able to write the missing files to bootable media.like bootia32.efi, bootx64.efi, bootmgr.efi )

• PS 2 paul, the factory restore partition issue is может быть an issue with the partition type guid, needs rework with diskpart, command set id=.........,where a plain data partition would have set id=EBD0A0A2-B9E5-4433-87C0-68B6B72699C7 . Some factory ids are listed in Wikipedia entry "GUID Partition Table"

• Ok, fine. But it seems to me that that should be taken care of by the application.