Home AOMEI Products Support

restore a GPT system drive

edited August 2015 in AOMEI Products Support

I understand that I can image/backup a System (c drive) that is UEFI and GPT.

I read the instructions to restore that image to create a Linux bootable cd.

Do I have to boot into the BIOS first and change to Legacy boot mode, then use the Linux CD to finish the restore?

Thanks,

This is a new build for me and I have not finished or installed win 8.1 as a UEFI, so I cannot try out AOMEI yet.

Dan

Comments

• It depends on the boot mode of bootable CD.

If the boot mode of bootable CD is Legacy,you must change to Legacy boot mode.

If the boot mode of bootable CD is UEFI,you must change to UEFI boot mode.

when you start system using UEFI , open Backupper and make a bootable media, you should choose boot mode of bootable media.

• thanks, I am asking about using the restore CD that is created by AOMEI. I think that is legacy so I would change boot mode to legacy, but I am restoring an image that is UEFI.

So after restore, would I go back to the bios and change back to UEFI mode so that now restored image will boot?

Dan

• Your boot mode is UEFI.

So,if your disk is MBR,please change the boot mode to Legacy.If your disk is GPT,please change the boot mode to UEFI.

• I am talking about the Linux restore disk that Backstopper has me create. That would be Legacy... wouldn't it. Your program creates the disk

dan

• Which path does your image file restore? If you restore your image in the former path, just keep the boot mode changeless.

• Dan,

You restore the system image to its original location or other location? If you restore the image to its original location, after you boot from the Linux CD to do the restoration successfully, you need to change the boot mode back to UEFI mode. 

If you restore the system image to other location, as you know, you can restore the system image to either a MBR disk or GPT disk, if you restore the image to a MBR disk, and want to boot from the MBR disk, you need to change the boot mode to legacy boot.

The boot mode of the bootable media has nothing to do with the boot mode of your image. And yes, you need to change to legacy boot mode to boot from the Linux CD. 

• edited August 2015

Thanks very much. If I ever get this new watercooled build finished I am anxious to use BackStopper

• final question, perhaps I am confusing you. I mean if I want to restore my GPT image to the same location using the Linux CD, do I need to change anything just to do that? To restore with the Linux CD.