Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper Windows 8.1 Error Information Code: 4103 Failed to write file

I run a system backup of my Windows 8.1 system to an external USB drive on a schedule on Mon Wed and Fri nights. Last night I received the “Information Code: 4103 Failed to write file.” What does that mean? Could it be related to Windows 8.1 USB bug?

Comments

• Hello elocevets,

Welcome to our forum. About error 4103, please check if the drive letter of your external USB dirve has been changed. You should keep the original drive letter. And if there is enough space for continuing backup.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• I am having the same problem with Windows 8.1 and get the same error code. The backup will pause at 13.65 GB and stop. The drive is a 1TB USB drive and is almost empty. It is formatted as NTFS

• Hello bforsberg,

We are so sorry for the inconvenience. In your case, please check if this USB drive have bad sectors. And please check if there is any other physical issue, you could try connecting the USB drive to a different port of your computer.

If there is still the same problem, please attach the log file of this program, so that we can analyze what the probelm is. Also, you may try backup to another destination.

Best Regards,

AOMEI Support Team

• I have the same problem. I have a laptop running 8.1 and baackup to an external hard disc connected via USB. Fils backups appear to work OK but when I try a System or disc backup it appears to go through the backup process but at the end it says "Failed to write file". There is plenty of room on the backup disc - at least three times the size of the backup. A disc check doesn't report any errors. The disc letter is the same as it has always been andthe same as that recorded in aomei. This fault happens even when no other programs are running. This seems to be a common problem - is there a solution?

• Hi arbee,

Please post us the log files.

• This is a log file from arun today. Because it doesn't write a file tthe backup is not included in the list of backups so it is not possible to access the logs from previous attempts. It was running for over 20 minutes backing up data so it was backing up data, It did in fact write 18GB to the external disc - four files of 4GB and one of 2GB - but to backup the whole of the C: dic it would have to write about 70GB I don't know if it is relevant but before the run there was no report of disc errors, after the run there was - it was cleared with the Windows error checking facility. The laptop's disc is NTFS , the external disc is FAT32

Backup is initializing...

Backing up the information of storage device...

Backing up of the volume 0...

Backing up data...

Backing up of the volume 0 done.

Backing up of the volume 1 (C:)...

Backing up data...

Information Code:4103

Failed to write file.

Arbees

• Hi Arbees,

Sorry for the problem, could you please allow us offer you remote assistance? If it is OK, please leave us your email address. 

In addition, you can try changing a external disk as the destination to see whether you can do the system backup successfully or not. Or you are able to back up your system to local drive? Then you can copy them to your external disk.

• Here's a creative idea; instead of constantly asking people to allow you remote assistance, why not just check into what made version 1.6 the quality it was before someone screwed it up.  Try not using the "I can fix that" mindset that follows the "There's nothing wrong with it."..."Well I can fix that, too." that so many have lately.  The program has not consistently worked correctly since 2.0.  Stop trying to fix it by adding garbage and just revert first, then build on a working version. 

• And provide a way to re-obtain 1.6 while the current version gets scrapped and redone.