Home AOMEI Products Support

Wrong keyboard layout of Backupper BOOT-CDs

edited April 2014 in AOMEI Products Support

I made the BOOT-CDs amlnx.iso and ampe.iso. Both work in principle, but with US keyboard layout, which makes it very hard, to enter correct file names, user names or passwords if you don't have an US keyboard. How can I change keyborad layout to e.g. German for both BOOT-CDs?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Hi Hans,

I can't confirm that. Are you running a German-only Windows or a multilanguage one?

Pit

• It does seem to use the US keyboard layout. I have a UK layout which is slightly different to the US one, but I have grown used to the differences, so I know how the keys a re mapped.

• The amlnx.iso was generated on German WinXP, the amope.iso on multilanguage Win7-64ult, both with"Deutsch (IMB)" as default keyboard layout. Differences between US and DE keyboard are significant, especially special characters "\","/", "-", "_" etc, which are often needed in pathnames etc.

• edited April 2014

Your ML Win 7 seems to be the reason, because a ML Windows always is an English one and therefore your WinPE is created with English defaults too. Maybe this link is helpfull to you, especially the second half: http://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/library/cc722128(v=ws.10).aspx. Instead using imageX I would recommend you DISM GUI, because it's easier to handle: http://dismgui.codeplex.com/.

Pit

• Hi,

Yes, Pit is right. But I want to clarify that only the WinPE is created based on your OS kernel while the Linux iso isn't, it is built-in in the installer of AOMEI Backupper and with English defaults. 

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• 1. I testedwith another Win7-32pro, which seems to be pure German (at least it's notpossible to change the language in this installation - so I think this is nomultilingual version), and still get US keyboard :-(.

2. I'mgoing to test the tips next week or start to learn how to make winbuilderscripts...

3. Doesanyone know how to "patch" a different keyboard layout in the Linuxboot CD?

4. For AOMEI it should be easy possible to integratean dialogue asking for keyboard layout for both Linux und WinPE.

• edited April 2014

1. I've made several WinPE boot CDs in the past with Win 7 32 and 64 bit and I never had this problem.

3. I don't know whether there's a way to change the language but I don't recommend you to use the Linux ISO because it has restricted functionality and you also can't add drivers.

Pit

• Hi Hans,

Yes, this "For AOMEI it should be easy possible to integratean dialogue asking for keyboard layout for both Linux und WinPE." can be done. But we cannot solve it right now.

If you have any other qustions or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Kim
    AOMEI Support Team

• I meanwhile found the "AOMEI_Backupper.script" v.10 for WinBuilder (http://theoven.org7index.php?topic=541.0), and successfully added AOMEI Backupper 2.0 to Win8-32-PE with "Win8PESE82_Builder.exe". I used it successfully on my YUMI MULTIBOOT stick as ISO (after putting "CdUsb.Y" and the whole "Programs" folder directly to the stick and deleted "Programs" from "Win8pese\ISO\WIM" and then used "Create ISO" to remove the files from the ISO, which are useless in MULTIBOOT environment).

Btw.: I suggest not only to generate a keyboard layout selection option for AOMEI generated WinPE (during generation or in WinPE before Backupper start), but also to add some commander/explorer (I recommend FreeCommanderXE) to this WinPE (otherwise it's very hard e.g. to restore files from a mounted backup). In the Win7-32-PE, which I generated via AOMEI Backupper, I copied FreeCommanderXE portable (from PortableApps) to the stick, started a cmd shell (from "Utilities"), used wpeutil SetKeyboardLayout 0407:000000407 to change to German keyboard (unfortunately this does not help for Backupper), and could then start and use FreeCommander.