Home AOMEI Products Support

Backupper and Win/11 PE

I've just been looking at a new release of Hiren's boot cd which uses Win/11 PE (and claims to no longer include any legally dubious software).  When I run backupper in this environment and pick system backup, I get the message "The program did not find the system partition. Please reboot the system and try again."  Running under Win/11 home or Win/10 PE does not fail this way.

I know this isn't an officially supported environment, but any suggestions?

There are some advantages with Win/11 PE.  In particular, while it doesn't always give me native screen resolution, I haven't seen it go to low enough resolution to make running backupper difficult.  On the other hand, I haven't been able to get it to boot on an older machine that has no trouble with Win/10 PE.

Comments

• edited February 8
    "When I run backupper in this environment"
    Hirens 1.03 Windows 11 does not have a recent BU app, it is version 6.5.1, from 2018. Are you saying that you manually installed a recent BU app 7.3.3 that you downloaded?
    Hirens 1.03 also includes recent Partition Assistant 10.2.2.
    "I know this isn't an officially supported environment, but any suggestions?"
    In the future, when posting about Hirens, and other products that are not from Aomei, please instead choose the Storage General Discussion category.
    "I haven't been able to get it to boot on an older machine that has no trouble with Win/10 PE."
    If you have tried the normal Hirens USB creation tool and it did not boot, you could try burning it to DVD, or using Ventoy to create a USB.
    Thank you for your interest in the new Hirens 1.03 Windows 11, I will include the link for other users, so they know the subject.
    Free tools not from Aomei:
    Hirens Boot PE 1.03 - live USB tool suite
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org/download
    Based on Windows 11, includes 160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 10.2.2. Put custom drivers, into the “CustomDrivers” folder.
    Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/all-in-one-os-bootable-usb-7983-rc.html
    Put all bootable ISOs on 1 USB Stick, open source
  • Same result with both Backupper 6.5.1 and 7.3.3 and multi-boot (Easy2Boot) or single boot (Rufus). As for the non-booting problem, I suspect it's because that machine has UEFI support in the BIOS, but it's booting in legacy mode. I plan on converting to UEFI and trying again. That's a simple but dangerous operation so I want to reserve time to make full backups with two methods first. I also have other machines that haven't been tested at all.
  • edited February 8
    "it's booting in legacy mode"
    Since 2018, the Hirens website clearly reads that the product requires UEFI mode.
    Please do not use BU 6.5.1. The BU product tier in Hirens does not work anyway.
    "while it doesn't always give me native screen resolution"

Hiren's BootCD PE x64 v1.0.4 (6 February 2024):

• Some audio and graphics related bugs have been fixed.
    • New added utilities: Victoria, Drive Snapshot, VeraCrypt, TreeSize, IrfanView, ImageUSB, Aqua Key Test, ImDisk Virtual Disk Driver, WinSCP, Putty.
    If you have tried the normal Hirens USB creation tool and it did not boot on a UEFI PC, you could try burning it to DVD, or using Ventoy to create a USB.
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Ventoy - Best Multiboot USB Creator
    https://www.ubackup.com/articles/all-in-one-os-bootable-usb-7983-rc.html
    Put all bootable ISOs on 1 USB Stick, open source
    Hirens Changelog