Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper - Killed my PC!

So I've just started using a registered version of the Backupper software.  Having had massive issues with a certain 'rollback' software that reset a PC to a baseline removing everything including itself! The software clashed with Win10 updates.  I went back to Backupper as a solution.

Running a few tests today I took a full backup and deleted a couple of desktop files, proceeded to restore the database using the installed Recovery Console.  Upon reboot I received a BSOD stating critical process died! :-(

Luckily and ironically I still had the 'rollback' software installed and used this to get me back to this mornings snapshot.

The problem with Backupper also corrupted my email database.

Anyone any ideas why this happened?  I (like everyone else) need a solution that can save me from these potential crashes and have to have something I can rely on.

Comments

• edited January 26
    Thank you for being here, JNMann.
    "proceeded to restore the database using the installed Recovery Console"
    What do you mean by Recovery Console? Do you mean BU > Boot Tool? Do you mean BU > Recovery Integration? Do you mean BU > Cmd Tool? I think probably you mean BU > Recovery Integration.
    While BU > Recovery Integration (and Boot Tool) are useful, and I have not personally seen them crash, it is always best to use BU WinPE USB tool, because that is separate from the PC. Please reply with the screenshot you took of your BSOD, and of your disk partitions.
    "rollback"
    Thank you for telling us about rollback software. If you need to restore your PC to a previous point in time up to a max of 2 months old, for 20 years Windows has allowed you to use Windows USB > System Restore Point.
    "The problem with Backupper also corrupted my email database."
    Please reply with a screenshot of the problem, and we can assist you further.
    Could you please reply with the answers to:
    1) Which motherboard mode Legacy-BIOS, UEFI-CSM, UEFI-nonCSM?
    2) What PC brand, year, model #, desktop or laptop?
    3) HDD, SSHD, SSD 2.5", SSD M.2 SATA, SSD M.2 NVMe?
    4) Hard Drive partition table MBR or GPT?
    5) Aomei product tier Standard, Pro, Other? Version?
    6) Windows version 10, 11, Home, Pro, Enterprise?
    7) Please post a screenshot of your issue, and also of Diskpart > lis dis > sel dis # > det dis > lis par > lis vol
    Thank you.
    Backupper WinPE USB:
    Add custom drivers, such as NVMe, if necessary. Does not work with some monitors.
    Aomei WinPE Builder USB:
    Best for PCs from or before 2019, includes Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    Free tool not from Aomei:
    Hirens Boot PE - live USB tool suite
    https://www.hirensbootcd.org
    160 utilities, old BU 6.5.1, PA 9.2.1. Put custom drivers, such as NVMe drivers, into the “CustomDrivers” folder. Hirens is not recommended in combination with Ventoy USB.

• edited January 26
    Hi, just seen this response so quick reply....

Apologies, wrong incorrect wording.  Should have read Recovery Environment, this is where it was added to the boot record so I had the choice to go into Win10 or AOMEI recovery mode, I thought this would be the perfect solution.  I understand using a USB as it is separate but didn't feel this should be necessary.

I don't have the screen shot info as my Rollback software got me back up and running.  The BSOD didn't get any further specific information,

I would like to persevere with the software if I can, I lost faith when this happened, if I hadn't left the rollback installed (and I was about to remove it) I would have really have been in trouble here.
  • I do feel that anything that installs within the boot menu ends up causing issues in my experience so I will look at the USB option.
  • edited January 27
    "I had the choice to go into Win10 or AOMEI"
    BU Boot Tool - during normal boot, it will give you the choice of Windows or BU.
    BU Recovery Integration - when Windows does not boot normally, it starts a WinPE / Recovery mode, this can include both BU and PA.
    I understand you had some bad luck with BU on your first use. You could simply use BU to create a disk image, copy image to an external disk, and then in the rare case of an emergency, you could use it. You could continue to use your Rollback and BU both, as they are both different backup methods, and will work well in different situations.
    Since you have an older PC, I highly recommend the more powerful tool Aomei (Win)PE Builder, check it out. 10 portable softwares in 1.
    Aomei WinPE Builder USB:
    Best for PCs from or before 2019, includes Partition Assistant, Backupper, Recuva, 7zip, OSF Mount, CPU-Z, Bootice, DiskMgmt.msc. Supports x64 portable apps. Does not support any additional drivers, such as some internal NVMe disks.
    https://www.ubackup.com/pe-builder.html

• @JNMann, Could you still boot into windows after BSOD? And the BSOD appeared when you use AOMEI Backupper to do a backup?