Home AOMEI Products Support

Aomei backupper, disk backup, image very small

hello.
I did a full disk to image backup, with normal compression. the source is a fresh win 10 installation with some custom settings, updates and softwares.

how is it possible that for 32gb of used space in the source disk, I get image file of just about 16gb.
afraid data loss, but the target seem to function properly with this Win10 disk image

Comments

• @Shark, You can try to explore the image to a virtual partition and check the data. Or, you can restore the image to another empty disk to check if it can work normally.
    Generally, the image file will compress data. The image size is based on the size of used space and compressibility of data. 
  • Hi Shark -

Did you try to explore the image as Admin suggested?

I am currently migrating from Macrium Reflect to Aomei, and am running Macrium and Aomei backups in parallel while I change over.

On my Windows System disk (Win 11) with 55GB used space, my Aomei Full System backup is 25GB.
    My Macrium Reflect image of the same partitions is 23GB. 

My Data Disk Image Full backup of 77GB used data is ~72GB on both Aomei and Macrium Reflect.

I am not sure why the System Image appears to be so much more efficient. 
    (Maybe Windows is full of a lot of hot air  ;) )

I have explored the system image, and don't see anything obvious missing.  I haven't tried a restore yet though...

Any other real world observations out there?

• @Uptix, Generally, backup will compress your data to the image file. The size of image file is based on the compression level and the compressibility of data. Apparently, the data of data disk can't be compressed further.