Home AOMEI Products Support

AOMEI Backupper to external drive

I want to "sell" AOMEI Backupper to to a friend, I'm already using it, but his setup is very different to mine.
His setup is Windows 11 with a single 2TB disk without any partitions and without a built-in DVD drive. The aim is to do a system back (which will include all data?) up to an external drive should the hard drive packs up. I do not know what size is advisable?

I've looked at many videos and studied various guides but now just more confused.
Can anybody give me a how to link that will resolve the problem?

Comments

• Hi Royci -

I have a 180GB SSD, and 1TB HD.
    Aomei compresses the data when backed up, so on my system (with about 77gb of data):

I backup
    Win11 Full backup is 22GB (Every Monday, 1 Full backup followed by 3 incrementals)
    Data Full Backup is 72GB (Every Day, 1 Full backup followed by 30 incrementals)

I keep 2 sets of each (giving me about 60 days of recovery)

500GB external drive does this for me.  But every system is different...

Hope this helps..?
    Cheers,
    Uptix
  • He could add a partition to his HDD; Windows utilities will do this. Can then backup his data/system partition to the new partition. Of course if the HDD fails completely then he would be stuck. So simple answer is to buy a USB HDD caddy and an HDD and backup to that.
  • @Royci, Generally, LICENSEE is not allowed to lease, sell, rent out or pass the Software to another person in any way. Could you tell us why you don't want to use the software?
  • Thanks Uptix for the size confirmation, that will be my suggestion to him.

Davy - when doing a data/system backup to the external drive must he also ensure it is the first boot up selection in the BIOS?
    With a complete crash AOMEI will no longer be available in the C drive. Thus also apply "Create Bootable Media" for the external drive?

Will the external drive be wiped during the first AOMEI backup? With other words this external drive must not be used to store any other data?

Admin - my "sell" is between quotation marks meaning I want to motivate him to acquire AOMEI Backupper Standard (freeware) as the best solution, I am not selling anything at all.

• @Royci, Backup feature will back up your data to an image file. You can save the image file to the external drive. It doesn't wipe the drive. But, if you do a clone, it will overwrite the destination.
    And, if you want to create WinPE bootable media on the external drive, please first create it, and then put backup file in here. "Create Bootable Media" will format the target drive.
  • Thanks to everybody but he installed Macrium Reflect without letting me know.
    I cannot assist him any further and stepping back.

• He does know that MR Free is no longer being supported?  (That's why I'm here!)

Some people can't be helped!