Home AOMEI Products Support

Moving my GPT/EFI partition in front of my OS Partition

I just can't seem to do it.  Is it possible to move a partition 'past' another?  I can move partitions into unallocated space but not across other partitions.
See pic.  How can I move the partition to the new location?  Actually, I created the partition shown as 1 thinking I could move it to there but that isn't possible so I can extend C back to take that space too.
I don't know what the E drive is - it was created when I converted the drive from MBR to GPT I think.
Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2020
    A GPT formatted disk is a UEFI configured drive.  A UEFI drive normally contains a small EFI partition which is about 100 MB in size, a MSR partition, a primary partition (Drive C), and a recovery partition which is about 560 MB in size.  A name brand computer may also have a diagnostic partition sometimes listed as a system recovery partition.  Since your drive E is so small I would suspect that it is a manufacturer's diagnostic partition instead of a system generated recovery partition.  So when you converted your MBR disc to a GPT disk that was probably when the drive letter E was assigned.  If you didn't have a drive E on your MBR formatted disc then most likely it would be safe to remove the drive letter from the partition. 

As far as moving the partition I have never done it myself other than to move a partition into an unallocated space on the disc.  There is a program that claims to be able to perform the task but I would highly suggest that you have a good system backup before attempting to move the partition.  The link to the program is:  https://www.hdd-tool.com/windows-10/how-to-move-partition.html   Good Luck.

• @Sjw, the *256.86MB partition is EFI partition? If yes, we suggest that you don't move it. The system might be unable to boot after moving.
    As for E: drive, we can't know what partition is it. When you convert the MBR disk to GPT, AOMEI Partition Assistant only creates the EFI partition based on the "system" partition of MBR disk. So, the E: drive is the original partition on your disk. It might be the manufacturer's diagnostic partition as Vbbritt said. You can remove the E: drive letter via AOMEI Partition Assistant.
  • @admin I have on more than one occasion had the Aomei Partition Assistant automatically assign a drive letter to the GPT recovery partition (the partition that contains the Windows Recovery information) when I was performing some unrelated task to the boot partition on my machines.  Or perhaps Windows itself assigns the drive letter when I am using the Partition Assistant to do something else with my disk.  I am not sure why that happens but I have witnessed that behavior.  It may actually be a bug in the Partition Assistant code but it doesn't adversely affect anything so I simply delete the drive letter and then continue on. 
  • @Vbbritt, We have submitted the problem to our technician to test further. If there indeed is a problem, we will optimize it after.