Home AOMEI Products Support

Problem of Migration of OS from nvme 256G to intel nvme 512g ssd for Lenovo Y530 notebook

Hi all,

I use migrate OS to SSD wizard to transfer existing window 10 pro from 256 ssd (in existing notebook) to new 512g ssd (connected by usb-c). I find that the new ssd is not bootable after install new 512 SSD into notebook.
I use Computer Management -> Disk Management to find that new SSD System partition (via usb-c) is not bootable (only show Primary) but old SSD (in notebook) System partition shows "Boot, Crash Dump, Primary Partition).

Do anyone know which step I did get wrong? or should I try another another step to do it?
Thanks a lot

BR
  Kenneth

Comments

• edited November 2020
    The first thing that I notice is that your original disc contains a EFI system partition which suggests to me that your notebook has a UEFI Bios Mode (execute System Info and look for Bios Mode in the list).  You should see a Bios Mode of UEFI or Legacy.  This is important when you are attempting to clone the boot disc because it gives you a clue as to which type of bootable recovery media to create.  I also suspect that you are using Aomei Partition Assistant to perform this operation since Migrate OS to SSD is not included as a function of Aomei Backupper.  With a UEFI Bios Mode you should see three partitions at a minimum (EFI System Partition, a large boot partition (Drive C), and a System Recovery partition so it is rather obvious that something went astray with the operation.

The first thing that I would do is to obtain and install Aomei Backupper on the laptop.  Then I would create a backup of my primary boot disk performing either the system backup or the disk backup functions.  Once you have a bootable rescue media created and tested to make sure that you can boot up the laptop with the rescue media then you are ready to perform the task that you are attempting.  At this point you have a choice to make.  You can either use Aomei Backupper or Aomei Partition Assistant to replace the existing boot disk with the new larger SSD drive.  My personal preference would be to use Aomei Backupper because there are several different methods that you can employ to do what you are attempting.  However, since it looks like you are using Aomei Partition Assistant I will stick with discussing that tool.

Since I believe that you are attempting to replace your boot disc with a new larger SSD disc then I would suggest that you choose the Clone Disc option instead of the Migrate OS to SSD option.  Clone disc should essentially duplicate the same partitions that are assigned to your original disc.  During the process you will be able to specify the amount of space to place in each partition.  The only one that you really want to increase is your drive C partition and you probably want it to contain most, if not all, of the the spare memory available.  The only concern that I have is using USB-C as the connection for your new SSD drive.  Does your notebook support more than one SSD or SATA HDD plugged in internally in the machine?  I say this because you really want your new SSD disc to be installed using the SATA or M.2 NVME socket depending on what is available.  I have no experience using USB-C for the destination disc so I do not know if Aomei Partition Assistant would install the correct drivers for booting off of the drive.  If you use the clone disc option then when the process is finished then you will need to remove your existing drive C disc and replace it with your new SSD drive that you just cloned.  Once you replace the disc then reboot your machine. 

Give the Clone Disc operation a try and if that doesn't work then post a note on the forum and we will attempt to try something else.       
  • Thanks Vbbritt. My notebook have UEFI Bios Mode. I nearly try Aomei Partition Assistant to perform os migration by use of "Migration os to ssd " and disk clone which both are not successful to boot. And my notebook have only one m2 nvme socket only so that the system clone only by use of USB-C or USB-A.

As I am new comer on aomei solution and not so familiar with difference between Partition Assistant and Backupper for my case of migration of os to new m2 nvme larger ssd. I seems that my knowledge will be better now.

I will try on Aomei Backupper to clone disk option and thank you for your advise.

• If the clone disk operation is not successful then you can try the disk backup and disk restore operation instead.  First make sure that you have a bootable rescue media that works.  Then remove your original boot disk and replace it with your new m.2 drive.  Then boot up the machine on the USB rescue media.  once you have the machine up and running on the rescue media then perform a restore disc operation and select the new SSD drive as the destination.  I am assuming that you have the Aomei Backupper Professional version of the software.  So when you perform the restore operation you will want to manually resize the partition to include all of the free space on the drive.
  • @Kenneth, According to your screenshot, it seems that the target disk is MBR format. Please delete all partitions on the target disk and then convert the target disk to GPT. After that, please try to do the system migration or disk clone again.
  • @Admin, What on the Disk Management screen tells you that the target disk is MBR?  I have never been able to determine that from the Disk Management screen and I would like to know.
  • Thanks  Admin, I change my disk 3 from MBR to GBT.
    I would like to ask another question, after disk clone by backupper (and I click resize partition within the wizard). The name of recovery partition from disk 0 is not shown on disk 3. Also, Wording in Disk 0 C: Boot, Crash Dump cannot be migrated to new disk 2 E:. 

Do I have something wrong for the procedure? Thanks again

• @Kenneth, Generally, when you boot from the cloned disk, then the E: drive will be C: (Boot, Crash Dump...). The original C: drive will be assigned to another drive letter.
    As for "Recovery", sorry that our program clone the recovery partition as a data partition. We will optimize the problem after. Maybe you can try to use Sector-by-sector clone, it will be able to clone recovery.
  • @Vbbritt, Generally, you can open windows disk management, then right-click the disk, then you can check the disk is MBR or GPT in the drop-down menu.
    For system disk clone, if you clone the system to GPT disk, there is an "EFI" partition. If you clone system to MBR disk, generally, it shows "Active". Generally, "Active" only can be set on MBR disk.
  • @admin, Thanks for the answer.  That helps a lot.