Home AOMEI Products Support

How to clone disk and resize C: drive at same time

I've got Partition Assistant Standard Edition 3.5   I would like to clone my Windows 8.1 hard drive to a new larger drive and expand the C: partition at the same time.  There are other restore partitions sitting either side of the C: partition. 

Can Partition Assistant expand while copying?

What approach would you suggest please?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hi Colin,

I'm afraid that Partition Assistant can't do it!

Still, it's not a good idea to clone disk while resizing partition C. Firstly, you cannot secure that the backup you get is one whose C partition has been resized. Second, it might not be safe for your data.

Besides, Partition Assistant has updated to version 5.5.8 and comes with many new features. You can download its standard edition for free.

• Thanks, sorry that was a typo.  I have version 5.5, downloaded yesterday.

I may not have been clear.  I want to increase the size of the C partition on the new drive.  My problem is that when I've cloned previously the empty space was left at the end of the drive, not next to the C partition.  

What do you normally suggested when upgrading to a larger drive? 

• edited September 2014

Hello @colin_thames,

Thank you so much for posting your questions in this forum. It is possible to expand C drive when you are cloning the old hard drive to new one. Please follow the steps as in this toturial: http://www.disk-partition.com/help/clone-hard-disk.html At Step 4 check the option "Edit partitons on this disk" to resize the partition. After that, click Next to continue.

• Stay with the administrator!