Home AOMEI Products Support

Question about System Backup & Disk Backup with dis-similar hardware

Let's say I have 2 disks installed in my Windows 2008 R2 called C:\ drive & D drive.

Now the quickest/safest way to backup is to use a boot disk & select Disk Backup and then select both C:\ drive & D drive does this mean that if I do the backup this way will it still be possible to restore using Universal Restore for the OS Drive (C:\)?

(If not possible please advise the best way to backup in this situation guessing a System Backup on C:\ drive & then a Disk Backup on D drive, please confirm)

Additional Follow up questions:-

1. Can a Disk Backup which contains an OS drive (C:\) be converted into a system backup ?

(I did a backup of a C:\ using both Disk Backup & System Backup & noticed only a 1KB difference is size between the two backup types possible just a flag to tell the AOMEI application it's a System backup which might be easy to apply this flag to existing Disk Backups)

If you cannot convert a disk backup to system backup and you wanted Universal Restore options could you do a "Disk Backup" restore of C:\ & then do a backup again using "System Backup" I know this is a extremely long way round but if you got existing backups and want to restore to dis-similar hardware this might be my only option.

Thanks
Jeremy

Tagged:

Comments

• If you restore the entire disk that contains the OS drive (Disk), Universal Restore option is available.
    If you restore only the system partition (Part), then it's unavailable.
    No, a disk backup cannot be converted into a system backup.