How to Transfer Music from External Hard Drive to iTunes?
Failed to transfer music from external hard drive to iTunes? This guide will tell you the steps you missed.
Transferring songs from external hard drive to iTunes is not a weird need. Due to limited computer storage space, many users choose to save songs, photos, and videos on external hard drives. When you get a new computer, you will want to import music from external hard drive to iTunes, so you can enjoy music on the computer, or transfer songs to the iPhone.
When it comes to adding files to iTunes, you know that you can take advantage of the “Add File to Library...” function to import songs to iTunes, and you did. However, the problem is that when you disconnect the external hard drive, iTunes says it cannot find the file. That's why you're on this page, right?
Well, it seems that you have missed a step, so you cannot accurately transfer music from external hard drive to iTunes. Don't worry, this guide will show you all the steps to help you successfully import music into iTunes.
Generally, when you click “Add File to Library...”, iTunes just saves the location of the files. So you will find that the files are not available if the external hard drive is not plugged in. You need to adjust settings to let it copy files to iTunes Media Folder - copy the files to your computer.
1. Run iTunes and plug in your external hard drive to computer.
2. Click the Edit menu in iTunes > Choose Preferences...
3. Click Advanced tab > Check the box beside "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" > Click OK to confirm.
4. Then click the File menu > Choose Add File to Library... to select the songs you want to add to iTunes. And that’s it.
Although iTunes is the official tool for managing iOS data, it is not that easy to use. It allows you to sync files from iTunes to iPhone at the cost of losing existing files on the iPhone. Besides, you don’t know whether the syncing is successful or not because there will be no notification. What’s worse, various errors happen now and then.
To make things simple, you may rely on one professional iOS data backup & transfer tool and AOMEI MBackupper is recommended here. It helps you transfer songs from external hard drive to iPhone and vice versa.
It is only a matter of making a few clicks of the mouse to transfer songs to iPhone. Download the tool on your PC and start transferring right now!
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper > Plug in your external hard drive and iPhone to computer. (You may need to enter the passcode on iPhone to allow the software to access your device.)
2. On the Home screen, click Transfer to iPhone option.
3. Click the “+” icon > Choose the songs you’d like to add to iPhone > Click Open to continue.
4. Click Transfer to transfer music from computer to iPhone.
5. Click OK when the transfer is completed.
Note: iDevice to iDevice transfer is also supported. You can transfer non-purchased music from old iPhone to new iPhone without effort.
That’s all for how to transfer music from external hard drive to iTunes. You should first set it to copy files to iTunes Media folder and then continue to the next step. Did the transfer succeed? Leave a comment to let us know.