How to Transfer Messages from iPhone to New iPhone? (4 Ways)
How to transfer messages from iPhone to iPhone? Read this guide to learn 4 solutions.
After getting a new iPhone like the newest iPhone 11, most users would like to move some old iPhone data to the new one. The messages carry various communications with family, loved ones, friends, and colleagues. I know those conversions mean a lot to you, so here in this guide, I’ll tell you four methods to transfer messages to new iPhone. Keep reading to learn more.
Since iOS 11.4, Apple has introduced iCloud syncing for Messages. Once you have turned on the feature, all your messages will be stored in the cloud and synced between all your devices that using the same Apple account, but it will only sync iMessages not all text messages.
If you want to sync iMessages to new iPhone, then you can try this method. Before getting started, please make sure your iPhone has connected with stable Wi-Fi network.
1. Go to Settings > Tap [your name] > iCloud.
2. Scroll down to find Messages > Toggle it on.
3. Do the same as above on the new iPhone and wait for the syncing.
The iCloud syncing can only help you sync iMessages to iPhone. So here comes another way to help you transfer both iMessages and Messages to new iPhone. mBackupper, one free iPhone backup and restore tool for Windows PCs, can help you transfer text messages to new iPhone with ease.
You just need to first make a backup for the messages on old iPhone and then restore the backup files to new iPhone. It allows you to select the messages you need instead of transferring all of them. And it will not erase any existing data on the new iPhone.
mBackupper supports most iPhone models from iPhone 4 to the latest iPhone 11 and would be perfectly compatible with the latest iOS 13. Download, install and launch the tool on your computer and follow the steps below to transfer messages to new iPhone.
1. Connect your old iPhone to computer via USB cable > Tap “Trust” to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Custom Backup option > Choose Messages to select the iMessages or text messages you need > Click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the backup path > Click Start Backup button to start backing up your messages.
4. Then connect your new iPhone to computer > Go to the Backup Management screen > Click the Restore option, and then your messages would be transferred to the target phone.
Taking the assistance of iCloud is a common way to transfer data to a new iPhone. You can first make a backup for your iPhone and then restore it on your new iPhone. All messages as well as other data like contacts, settings will also be transferred to your new iPhone. Besides, the restoring will erase all existing contents on your new iPhone.
Also, you should know that it may take a long time to complete the whole process, depending on the quality of your network connection and the size of your files. And the backup may fail if you do not have enough iCloud storage space (5 GB for free).
1. Connect your old iPhone and new iPhone to the power source and Wi-Fi network.
2. On your old iPhone, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Turn on iCloud Backup > Tap Back Up Now and wait for the backup to be finished.
3. On your new iPhone: If you have not set it up, you should choose Restore from iCloud Backup to make it. If you have set up your iPhone, you should go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to reset your iPhone > Set up your iPhone again until you see the Apps & Data screen and then choose Restore from iCloud Backup > Select the right backup to restore from.
iTunes is the default tool for iPhone backup and restore. Although it indeed can help you transfer messages to new iPhone, it’s not a recommended way. Your new iPhone content will be erased firstly and then replaced with all the data as well as settings from your old iPhone. It’s a time-consuming method.
1. Download and install the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
2. Connect your old iPhone to computer and run iTunes.
3. Click the Device tab > Select backup to This Computer > Click Back Up Now. Wait for the backup to be finished.
4. Disconnect the old iPhone and plug in your new iPhone.
5. If you have not set up your new iPhone, select Restore from iTunes Backup at the App & Data screen. If you have set up your iPhone, you can click Restore Backup… at the Summary page on iTunes. Then choose the backup contains the messages you want to transfer.
That’s all for how to transfer messages to new iPhone. iCloud and iTunes are the traditional ways to sync data to new iPhone, however, there are many annoying limitations. If you prefer the easiest way to make it, then mBackupper is your best choice. It can help you only transfer needed iMessages/SMS to new iPhone without any data loss.
Besides messages, it also supports transferring contacts, music, photos, videos, etc. to new iPhone. It can also help you backup important data for your new iPhone. Go for it now and discover more!