How to Set Up New iPhone from iCloud/iTunes Backup?
How to set up new iPhone from backup? This guide will tell you the method to set up new iPhone from iCloud or iTunes backup.
Apple makes it easy to upgrade from an old iPhone to a new one. If you have
created a backup with iCloud or iTunes in advance, you can restore that backup on your new
iPhone to make everything like before. To help you complete the process smoothly, this guide
will tell you how to set up new iPhone from backup step by step.
Besides, in case your backup does not contain the data you need, the way to transfer data from iPhone to iPhone without backup will also also be discussing.
The following are the steps to set up iPhone from iCloud or iTunes backup. If you have already set up your iPhone, please go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings to erase your device and restart the setup process.
● Turn on your device. Choose your language and your location.
● Use Quick Start or not.
> If your old iPhone is running on iOS 11 and later:
1. You can place your old iPhone near your new iPhone. The Quick Start screen will appear on your old iPhone and offers the option of using your Apple ID to set up your new iPhone > Tap Continue if that’s the correct Apple ID.
2. When the animation to appear on your new iPhone, hold your old iPhone over the new iPhone, then center the animation in the viewfinder. Wait for a message that says Finish on New iPhone.
3. Enter your old iPhone passcode on new iPhone > Set up Face ID or Touch ID > Enter your Apple ID password.
4. Then you can choose to Download from iCloud to restore iCloud backup. If your old iPhone is running on iOS 12.4 and later, you can also choose Transfer from iPhone to directly transfer old iPhone data.
> If your old iPhone is not at hand or it does not support Quick Start:
1. Tap Set Up Manually option.
2. Tap a Wi-Fi network to join > Se up Face ID or Touch ID > Set a passcode.
3. Then you will come to the App & Data screen. If you want to set up new iPhone from iCloud backup, please choose Restore from iCloud Backup; If you want to set up new iPhone from iTunes backup, you should choose Restore from Mac or PC.
Set Up New iPhone from iCloud Backup
1. Sign in to iCloud with your Apple ID and password and choose the backup you want to restore. (If a message says that you should update to a new version of iOS, you refer to this guide to learn what to do.)
2. Sign in with your Apple ID to restore your apps/purchases or you can skip this step.
3. Please keep your iPhone connected to Wi-Fi and it’s recommended to plug the device to the power until the restore process is done.
Set Up New iPhone from iTunes Backup
1. Connect your new iPhone to computer and run iTunes.
2. Click the Device tab > Go to Summary > Choose Restore Backup > Choose the correct backup > Enter the password if you need to restore from an encrypted backup.
3. Complete the setup process when the restoration is finished.
From the above, we have talked about how to set up new iPhone from backup. As you can see, you will need to erase your iPhone to perform a restore every time. However, what if you find that the backup did not contain the data you need? Create a new backup and restore again? It seems kind of time-consuming.
Under the circumstances, try AOMEI MBackupper, one free iPhone data manager to help you transfer selected data from old iPhone to new iPhone. It can help you transfer contacts, messages, photos, videos and songs in 1-click or just the needed items. What’s more, there is no need to reset your iPhone and it will not erase any existing data.
AOMEI MBackupper supports all iPhone models including the newest iPhone 11/iPhone SE 2020 and works well with the latest iOS 13. Get the tool and see how to transfer data to new iPhone.
Backup Data on Old iPhone
1. Launch AOMEI MBackupper and plug in your old iPhone > Tap “Trust” on the home screen to give your computer access to your iPhone.
2. Click Custom Backup to select the data you want to backup.
◆ You can click each icon to select the items you want to transfer and click OK to confirm.
3. Choose the storage path > Click Start Backup.
Transfer Data to New iPhone
1. Unplug your old iPhone and connect your new iPhone > Click Back to go to the Backup Management interface.
2. Click the Expand tab >> Advanced option to choose Restore.
3. You can click the icon to preview the data that will be restored to your new iPhone > If everything is ok, click Start Restore to make it.
That’s all for how to set up new iPhone from backup. You can choose to restore from an iTunes or iCloud backup according to your situation. Or you can let AOMEI MBackupper to directly transfer data from old iPhone to new iPhone if the backup does not contain the needed files.