Home AOMEI Products Support

Disc Clone Keeps getting Error 214

Both HDDs are identical 3.5" Mechanical 500-GB WD-Green

I have ran the clone process four times, twice using the "make no changes" choice and twice using the "fit to disk" choice.

It runs through the entire process, copying everything right up until the 8.71-GB "system recovery" partition; then, I get this: 

Error 214
Not enough reserve space. Please make big enough space for target partition.

When I look at the newly cloned disk in disk management, all other partitions read in agreement with the source disk, yet the 8.71-GB "System Recovery   Healthy" instead just says "unallocated"

I thought about shrinking the data partition on the source disk just a wee bit and moving the resulting unallocated space to the right end of the list and see if that would help, but wanted to see what you guys thought about it.

I know AOMEI is up to the task as I just recently cloned this same 500-GB source disk to a new 2TB target disk and it worked out beautifully; once the clone process was finished,I just installed the new disk into the machine and it booted right up and has been working wonderfully ever since.

How do I fix this "not enough reserve space" problem ?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• edited April 2017

This might be getting deep for me, but I'll give it a shot.

According to web searches on the "system recovery partition", the concensus is this is not needed in Win 10 and may either contain a microsoft Win 10 recovery tool or a manufacturers recovery tool. If you don't intend to restore the PC to its "factory fresh state", you don't need the manufacturers tool. You can also create a Windows recovery disk (see in backups and then in "go to Windows 7 backup and restore" and also using the method posted in this article) and use that if you the need to recover your PC. I've made that disk as I sometimes use the image function in that section. See this article and although it's for Win 8, it's the same thing for 10. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-delete-recovery-partition-in-windows-8/ They make a USB stick but I used a DVD and booting into it basically gives you what you see when you boot into the Win 10 recovery enviroment.

If we're on the same page and talking about the same partition, this may be all you need. You're not "fixing" the problem but eliminating it. Not sure why you're getting the error you're getting. Email AOMEI tech support and ask them what the error means and they also may tell you how to fix it without "nuking it" like I suggest! image

• That article isn't exactly right per  Win10 and creating the recovery media. Use the win7 section in win10 backup to do that. But you'll get the idea about what to do with that pesky partition.

• I guess I forgot to list my O/S; all of our machines are Windows 7; some are Win 7 Pro and the others are Win 7 Home Premium.

Thanks for the article; I will give it a read.

• edited April 2017

You can create the Windows system repair disk directly on a Win 7 system through its backup section. This would replace the partition you can't clone. So basically, you could delete it and not worry about cloning it. Not the real answer but it should work.

In actuality, if your HD fails and you can't boot into it, your system recovery partition would be of little value anyway and you would need to use a system repair disk to either restore a system image (made in Windows) or do any other repair, etc. I do use this function, manually, about once a month to create a system image to a portable HD that I keep separate from my PC. This is just to supplement AOMEI as a secondary means to be able to recover a failed drive.

If you need to use any of the functions from the recovery partition with a working PC, you can boot directly into the repair disk and you'll have the same capability.

I was a user of Norton Ghost until recently when I switched to AOMEI. In the last 20 years or so, I've had to use a system image 2 times for a failed HD with 2 different PCs. And I used one image to roll back my PC a day because of a foolishly downloaded virus. I've also been able to recover some accidentally erased files on several occasions. So in reality, I am sold on using imaging software for those infrequent, but possible emergency situations.

• Thanks, Flyer; I appreciate the help.

The reason for this particular clone is that we have two identical machines; one machine somehow developed a corrupted O/S and each day the problems got worse; I researched and fixed and researched some more, while it just kept presenting new problems.

I was on the verge of wiping the disk and starting all over; however, it had a lot of installed programs, each with numerous plug-ins, plus various drivers and such, all that would have taken a lot of time and headache.

Then, I had a brainstorm; seeing as all the exact same programs were on the machine that performed flawlessly, I decided there was no reason that a clone of the good machine would not boot right up and work in the problem machine.

Me being a chicken, I bought a brand-new 2TB WD-Blue disk and cloned the good machine to that; as I expected, it booted straight up and went to working every bit as good as the source machine, maybe even better.

With that done, I decided that while everything was running so well I would clone the good system to the 500-GB disk that had the problem O/S on it and store that away for emergencies.

You gave me an idea about migrating that recovery partition onto a DVD and I intend to do that.

I have an old Windows 7 Home Premium machine with a dead power supply that my wife's sister gave me; I need to get it up and running and use it as a practice guinea-pig to learn more about all of these various processes; if something goes haywire, I could just re-install and start all over.

• edited April 2017

Just a thought. Since you're obviously running the AOMEI program, why don't you use it the way it was intended. Make a disk image of each PC (I assume all your partitions are on one physical drive) and then you'll have an up to date replacement ready to restore in case of a drive failure, system crash, etc. If you don't have an extra internal HD to make the backup to, you can buy an inexpensive 2 TB external USB drive (or smaller or larger; your choice) that you can use for imaging both machines. Periodically, just plug it in and run a manual disk image. You can keep both machine images on one external.

You really want to use the clone function to copy your old HD to a new HD or SSD. If you have a fairly current backup image and have a failure, just drop in a new drive and run a restore from your image to it. If it's just a system crash that you can't repair, you can restore the image to the same drive. This way your new drive will be a lot more current than the clone you made at an earlier date.

Good luck. 

• Thanks, Flyer; I was not aware that a system image could be employed on a different disk than that it was created from.

I need to practice and get more familiar with these features.

By the way, I can type that "captcha" exactly as it reads and it will fail me two or three times on every post.

• About error 214, can you connect the destination drive to your computer and then send us a screenshot of Disk Management?

• Source is Disk 0 (top); Destination is Disk 1 (bottom).

imageDiskManagement_10-Apr-2017_01.png

• Please delete all the partitions on destination disk and try again.

• I used Elevated Command Line > Diskpart > Clean and thus deleted everything from the destination disk; I then ran AOMEI clone function again (with high hopes of success); alas, I got the exact same Error 214 with the disk management reading exactly the same as that I already posted.

At this point, the only remedy I can think of, other than delete that partition from the source, is to shrink the data partition and hopefully that will make the clone smaller and possibly allow the problem partition enough space to fit.

Your thoughts please.  

• It is a bug, we will try to fix it. Temporarily, please try System Clone+Partition Clone to see if it works.

• Please let me know when this bug is fixed.

Thank you for an excellent program.