Home Storage Guides, Tricks and Tips

What is the Difference between "System-Backup" and "System-Clone"?

imageHello!

I would like to create a Universal Restore so that I could transfer my current operating system (Win 7) together with the whole partition and all programs and settings I have installed on it, to a completely different computer at any time - even if the new computer has a different hardware configuration. Let's say, for the case that aliens should destroy my hard disk AND mainboard :o) image - and I have to buy a new (even better) computer with different a hardware-setting.

What kind of backup function do I have to use now to make such a universal backup of my current complete (bootable) OS/c-drive with all settings, so that it is usable on a new and different computer?

A "system backup"?

Or should I use "system cloning"?

And what is the difference?

Thank you for you answers & best regards!

Comments

• edited March 2017

System backup is: C: --> external device --> new C:  (called restore)

Clone is: C: --> new C:

So cloning could be faster. (not necessarily). The result is the same.

But you need to have a new license for Windows if you restore/clone it to another machine since the license is bound to your current hardware. 

• edited March 2017

Ah, I understand. Thank you very much for your answer.

"But you need to have a new license for Windows if you restore/clone it to another machine since the license is bound to your current hardware."

Is this also the case if only the HD changes? (if the HD crashes and I have to use a new one - or if I would move my System from an old HD to a new SSD?)

• No a new HDD/SSD is fine. But a new motherboard is regarded as a new computer you need a new license for.

• Ok, thank you image

• If you want to create a Universal Restore, you need to run a System Backup, because the clone feature doesn't support dissimilar hardware.